PDA

View Full Version : Help on 12g Nano setup

gar1948
05/17/2008, 07:42 PM
Hi----
Glad to find a site for reef stuff! I have done fresh water for 30+ years and had SWFO at one time. Want to start 12g Aquapod (cf 54w) with soft coral and a fish or two.
What is a good depth for sand in the tank?
Is 25W heater enough or go with 50w?
Is 20lbs of LR too much?
Should I replace stock pump with MJ900?
What secondary powerhead should I use for added water movement?
Do they sell RO/DI filters with hookups that can be taken on and off? (I'm in an apartment)
Any suggestions for a good source of LR and Sand in Columbus Ohio araea?
I know this is a long list but any opinions would be appreciated. I hope to be able to contribute to this site after (sorry about this) "I get my feet wet in the hobby"
Thanks again---gar1948

AlbaTiVo
05/17/2008, 08:13 PM
Hi!

I recently setup a 12 gallon Nano Cube for my in-laws. I put about 1" of sand in the bottom and about 12lbs of live rock. I also used a Visi-therm 50W Stealth heater and a Maxi-Jet 900 because I bought the tank used and the stock pump was not included.

I have filter floss in the top of chamber one that I change weekly during water changes and an eggcrate shelf with a bag of purigen on it - under the filter floss. In the second chamber I have chaeto and an LED light. In the third is the heater and return pump.

They do not have an additional powerhead, but the Koralia Nano's seem to be very popular. There are RO/DI adapters you can get that attach to a faucet.

My favorite place around here is Reefsystems in New Albany.

....and that is a terrible pun ;)

Steven

BradsOcean
05/17/2008, 11:29 PM
good depth for sand is about 1 inch
I would go with a 50 watt heater to keep it right during the winter
20lbs of LR is just fine
You could use a MJ900 or a rio 600
i never used a secondary powerhead

chase01
05/18/2008, 01:21 PM
I use a 50 watt heater and it works well for me- just check the heights before you buy (I ended up with one a bit on the tall side...). I also replaced the stock pump with an MJ900 and it works great. 20lbs of LR sounds good, depending on the density of the rock and consequent size.

gar1948
05/18/2008, 06:59 PM
Hi---
Thanks to AlbaTiVo, amoryodio and chase01 for their great advise. All noted and will be of great help in my choosing equipment'
gar1948

bad santa
05/18/2008, 07:05 PM
get a 50w visi-therm stealth heater. They are the smallest heaters that you can put into your nano and are reliable. Replace your stock pump with a maxi-jet 900 as your stock pump runs abit hotter than the maxi-jet.

BradsOcean
05/18/2008, 10:18 PM
also, a good little extra is a Hydor-flo, it costs $9 on the internet and you stick it on the outlet of your return and it makes the flow go in random directions

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11363