PDA

View Full Version : nano kits/no overflow/how to connect a sump?

rick12
05/18/2008, 09:33 AM
thinking of getting a nano kit--if i want a sump how do you add it? is there room for external overflows.

laserjim
05/18/2008, 09:39 AM
Why spend the money on an all in one nano if your going to add a sump? Just buy a small tank with overflow and add the sump.

rick12
05/18/2008, 09:42 AM
money is not the issue jim--adding a sump is. still looking for ideas.

thanks jim

laserjim
05/18/2008, 09:53 AM
Sorry didnt really mean it like that. I always thought the whole idea of buying a all in one nano was so you didnt have to mess with sump and external hoses ect..ect..What benifit would you get by buying the kit and then adding a sump? I can see adding a hang on refugium to lower nitates. ??Not saying its wrong,just wondering. :)

rick12
05/18/2008, 10:03 AM
no offence taken :)
jim my other tanks have a sump--i place all the not so nice hitchikers in it--also have a blue tux-lots of hermits--i enjoy looking at my sump as much as my display
also i have sun corals and they are heavy feeders and need a place for the waste to go.

i think a sump is the way to go.

wondering if others have sumps connected to nano displays and if so how do they do the job.

laserjim
05/18/2008, 10:13 AM
I don't see a problem with it if its not an all in one with a top on it.If it is, you could drill the tank and then cut a hole in the top for the return line. If you wanted a external over you would have to cut a pretty good size hole in it. Tagging along,curious to see if anyone has done this.

Jenisiz
05/18/2008, 10:55 AM
Honestly, you'd have to rig a hang on if it was a closed system and use a fish catch can....alot of drilling to do...

rick12
05/18/2008, 10:58 AM
is your custom O/F and fuge for your all in one. would like more details please--pics if possible'
thanks

doihavethemoney
05/18/2008, 11:29 AM
rick i bought red sea max and ran into the same prolem so i have a 20 gal sump hooked up to it
the sump is about 2 inches above the display tank so it can drain into it from the bulk head drain that i gat drilled in the sump then i have a pump in one of the compartments of the display tank to pump back into the the tank it cost me a pump and a tank with a hole in it so it works great and is cheap i like it

Jenisiz
05/18/2008, 12:37 PM
I no longer have my setup...but I'm sure you can look online and find someone that has created a fuge in an all in one kit...it's pretty much the same basis, only you use a fish catch can with a bulkhead mounted on to dump and create a box....it's not technically an overflow box but it works pretty well. from there you run the plumbing down into the sump/fuge or whatever.

rick12
05/18/2008, 02:06 PM
doihavethemoney that is a great plan to have a sump up above.

thanks

doihavethemoney
05/18/2008, 02:35 PM
welcome it works great and you can see your sump like you mentioned you wanted too before