PDA

View Full Version : Please take a look at my plumbing

J.russell
05/18/2008, 06:25 PM
Before I go and glue all this stuff together Id like some oppinions on how I have it all ran.

Main concern is noise and to make sure Im getting good drainage and good return to the display.

Tank
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/Fish%20tank%20build/Tank040.jpg

Under the stand
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/Fish%20tank%20build/Tank041.jpg

CL
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/Fish%20tank%20build/Tank037.jpg

eznet2u
05/18/2008, 06:48 PM
Now, picture your tank with water...Change the CL pump.

J.russell
05/18/2008, 07:02 PM
Crap :( I see what youre saying.

What options do I have on that? I can not move the pump back any further.

shag26272
05/18/2008, 07:05 PM
I think hes saying to use a different brand, how about a panworld 50px or something, and you need a valve on the other side of the pump

J.russell
05/18/2008, 07:21 PM
No hes saying when I take the pump off the water is going to flow out.

Prob is I dont have any room to move the pump back inorder to put a valve inbetween, I just went back out in the garage and took a look. Only thing I can do is reach in the tank and plug that bulkhead if/when the pump needs to come off. That bulkhead is threaded on the inside.

shag26272
05/18/2008, 07:45 PM
yeah, thats not a bad idea

eznet2u
05/18/2008, 07:46 PM
It will be a mess to service the pump. Can you turn the pump to the side any?

J.russell
05/18/2008, 07:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12566538#post12566538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eznet2u
It will be a mess to service the pump. Can you turn the pump to the side any?

I could but still wouldnt have enough room to squeez a valve in there.

Reaching into the tank and plugging the bulkhead wont be too bad. Id only have a little bit of water between the plug and pump. Nothing a towel cant handle haha.

Should I move that valve closer to the pump also? Like switch the union and valve positions.

mikeandjenn99
05/18/2008, 08:18 PM
Why not put a 90 deg elbow, then a valve, then the pump. That would kick the pump off the the right side, and you could put the valve on for service. I also think you'll have problems with the way those pipes are set up. You're going to get the majority of you flow going out the top hole. Water is going to go wherever it is easiest to flow, and that means to go up, then back down won't be it. You could fix that by putting the valve above the tee, then adjust the valve for flow to the top output so that even amounts flow to the bottom one too.

kcress
05/18/2008, 08:18 PM
Naw.

BTW nice clean setup!

J.russell
05/18/2008, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12566765#post12566765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikeandjenn99
Why not put a 90 deg elbow, then a valve, then the pump. That would kick the pump off the the right side, and you could put the valve on for service. I also think you'll have problems with the way those pipes are set up. You're going to get the majority of you flow going out the top hole. Water is going to go wherever it is easiest to flow, and that means to go up, then back down won't be it. You could fix that by putting the valve above the tee, then adjust the valve for flow to the top output so that even amounts flow to the bottom one too.

I have no place to move the pump. Thats the problem.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/Fish%20tank%20build/Tank040.jpg

And as I was looking at the tank before, I decided I was going to move the valve just how you said. I though to myself theres no way in hell water is going to go sideways without some help,,,lol.

J.russell
05/18/2008, 08:51 PM
Well the more I look at it the more problems I see. Now inorder to keep from draining the tank I will need to plug 2 bulkheads.

I moved that valve up to help with flow control but with the valve there the bulkhead on the right would drain the tank if I remove the pump unless it too is plugged.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/Fish%20tank%20build/Tank057.jpg

And no, I dont have room in that cross pipe to add another valve because the drain from the overflow will be in the way.

J.russell
05/18/2008, 08:54 PM
If I left the pipes the way I had them to start with you dont think the LockLine would create enough pressure on the top bulkhead to feed water to the right bulkhead?

J.russell
05/18/2008, 09:16 PM
Alright. After looking at it some more, I can more the 1 1/2" drain back just enough to get a valve in that cross section to that way I dont have both of the return bulkheads draining. That means I would stil have to plug the one the pump is attatched to which isnt too big of a deal for me.

So does that sound like it would work?

I know you guys have to be getting sick of me by now :(

scaast
05/18/2008, 11:49 PM
I like the way you're thinking...I know you are pinched for room...is moving the pump inside your stand an option? Why can't you make a shelf for it to sit on underneath? This is how I plumbed mine...very clean and simple. <br>
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/scaast/IM000963.jpg

ReefEnabler
05/19/2008, 12:23 AM
I think locating the pump down lower like scaast showed is a good idea. IMO that would be the easiest way to solve the issue. plugging the bulkhead sounds easy and it just might work, but it could also be a real pain in the butt if something goes wrong.

with closed loop, keep in mind there is no headloss from locating the pump down lower, side there is equal pressure on either side of the pump.

J.russell
05/19/2008, 04:44 AM
I might just have to do that. Ill attatch the pipe under the stand today and see if I have a place to put it.

Thanks guys.

eznet2u
05/19/2008, 09:26 AM
My suggestion would be to put the pump under the stand also... :)

Just didn't think of it until I turned the computer off for the night.

J.russell
05/19/2008, 03:27 PM
Alrighty. I think I came up with a really simple solution. I think I was thinking toomuch into it last night. The combination of beng ****ed off and sleepy prob didnt help.

If I move the drain from the overflow back about 1-1 1/2" Ill have room to add a valve in here.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/Fish%20tank%20build/Tank057-1.jpg

I can leabe the new valve open all the way for flow and close the top one to balance the two out. Then whenever I need to remove the pump just close both valves.

I would still have to reach in the tank and cap off the bulk head the pump is screwed into but thats not a biggie.

scaast
05/19/2008, 05:19 PM
Save yourself the headache and move that pump underneath...you'll be glad you did.

J.russell
05/19/2008, 06:48 PM
Ok. I figured out a easy way to move the pump under the stand. Will this work?

Im just going to 90 down out of the bulkhead and 90 up from the pump and it will line up just perfectly.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/Fish%20tank%20build/Tank059.jpg

Is it ok that 2 returns are not the same height? Remember there will be LineLock on there so I should have some back pressure from them to help with the flow to each return.

scaast
05/19/2008, 06:56 PM
That looks much better. I can't say for sure if the different height of the returns will be an issue or not...I would suspect the lower might have higher flow, but other than that it should be fine.

J.russell
05/19/2008, 07:28 PM
Well higher flow around the bottom wouldnt be a bad thing :)

Haha thank god I got this crap figured out finally.

Thank you guys for all your help ;)

Ratkiller
05/20/2008, 04:33 PM
Make sure you put a check valve on the return pump, both if your going to run 2. But you deffinately need one on the pump that is feeding the retuns in the middle of the tank.

J.russell
05/20/2008, 04:43 PM
What do I need the check valve for ratkiller? Only reason I ask is because I really dont know...lol. This is the first time anyone has mentioned one to me?

The 2 returns in the middle of the tank are part of the closed loop. So I shouldnt need one on those.

ReefEnabler
05/20/2008, 05:23 PM
not sure either. IMO check valves are useless for assurances in this hobby.

how long will it be until encrusting feather dusters or something else grow into the seal and mess it up? i have an HOB filter on a 20g QT tank, it didn't even take a month until the entire inside of the filter was encrusted with all kinds of things.

since its a closed loop its not going to drain the tank if the power goes out or anything.... only if you take the pump out without remembering to shut the ball valve :)

for your main returns, some siphon break holes drilled into the locline just underneath the waterline will do the trick. just make sure to clean those holes regularly.

J.russell
05/20/2008, 07:10 PM
Will do sir! :)

eznet2u
05/20/2008, 07:21 PM
<Yoda Voice>
You have learned well young J.russell...control your anger, you must...Or the Darkside you will go...(Freshwater :eek2: )

You figured it out! Looks good.

IMO, I think you will find that the flow will be relatively close. The bottom one IS shorter, but it is deeper. More pressure on this one.

J.russell
05/20/2008, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12580829#post12580829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eznet2u
<Yoda Voice>
You have learned well young J.russell...control your anger, you must...Or the Darkside you will go...(Freshwater :eek2: )

You figured it out! Looks good.

IMO, I think you will find that the flow will be relatively close. The bottom one IS shorter, but it is deeper. More pressure on this one.

Dont use the F word around me buddy! haha

But thanks I think it will work. I had to move some of the other plumbing around and move my sump to the otherside of the stand but it should all still work.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

scaast
05/20/2008, 07:58 PM
I agree 100% about not needing a check-valve on the closed loop...I don't have one on mine.