PDA

View Full Version : Will this be enough light for this set up?

Kissfan79
05/18/2008, 06:52 PM
Hey guys....
My folks just bought a 180 setup and I was wondering if the light they got in the set up will work for them. The tank they have is a 72"x24"24" 180 and the light they got was a 72" outer orbit with 3 150 watt MH bulbs and 4 96 watt PC actinic bulbs. They will keep mostly soft corals such as zoos, mushrooms etc and LPS such as frogspawns and hammer corals....maybe a candy cane or two. They probably won't really do any SPS however later on down the road they may want a clam. Will this light be adequite for what they need? It was just set up today with some established rock and is clearing very quickly. The water obviously isn't crystal clear yet but it almost seemed like the tank was a bit dim and there is a set of nasty shadows where the cross beams are on the top. What do you guys think? Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

sirreal63
05/18/2008, 07:11 PM
With the right bulb it will be enough for what they want to do. In my 150 fixtures I use XDE 10K bulbs but in LumenArs fixtures. The outer orbit doesn't do quite the same job at putting the light into the tank.

Kissfan79
05/18/2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Kissfan79
05/19/2008, 07:47 AM
Anyone else have any thoughts on this setup?

Thanks, Jim

mile sq. reefer
05/19/2008, 08:27 AM
With the 24" height I would have went with 3x250w. You can keep the softies for now and SPS/clams later without the need for an upgrade. PC lamps are also old technology. T5's with individual reflectors are a much better choice. I would rethink this light choice.

sirreal63
05/19/2008, 08:37 AM
They already have the light I believe.

mile sq. reefer
05/19/2008, 08:48 AM
OK then, I retract my post.

Kissfan79
05/19/2008, 09:20 AM
Yes...they already have the light. They recieved it yesterday from the install by our LFS. Iwas thinking of going back and talking to them to see how much it would run to return this orbit and get one with 3x250 HQIs. Or...would possbily returning the light and going with a retro-fit in the canopy (which will be finished in a week) be a better option than a fixture?

Thanks again for the input guys.

Jim

mile sq. reefer
05/19/2008, 09:54 AM
The outer orbit is not meant to be in a canopy. At least one that is not ventilated. I have a Sunpod, same light w/o the T5, on the docking mounts right on top of the tank. I think it's stated in the instructions. Id try to exchange it for the 250 and hang them about 6-8" off the top. Less heat and better coverage. JMO.

Kissfan79
05/20/2008, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately...I don't think an exchange is going to be possible. They don't carry the Outer Orbit with the 250 MH and T-5s and if the light gets returned...it would be store credit...not cash. The only other option would be to possibly return the light and use the store credit to put in a MH retro w/either T-5s or VHOs. Assuming my folks keep the light.....what do you guys think of the fixture with 3 14K Phoenix 150 watt bulbs in it? Should it suffice for a tank that deep?

Thanks again for the info.

Jim

sirreal63
05/20/2008, 04:13 PM
With the Phoenix you are looking at the 30's for par....not enough for some corals. The XDE 10K is a better choice and will boost the par to the mid 50's if electronic ballast and the low 60's with an M81 ballast. You should also know the Phoenix does a pitiful job at any highlighting any color other than purples and blues. Reds and greens and yellows get washed out. I would use a 10K bulb and stick with the 4x96 actintic pc's, though T5's or VHO would be a better choice than pc's. I will admit that the actintic pc bulb looks good but it is a very inefficient bulb.

I would keep the 150 watt fixture if it were me. My corals grow just fine under 150's but you need to use a high par bulb.

Kissfan79
05/20/2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the information. The reason my dad was looking at the phoenix bulbs was due to the color. He prefers a really blue look. The Orbit fixture he has comes with the 10K halides. He likes a look in the middle of the straight bule of the actinics and the white of the halides (but on the bluer side) and the actinics together. After seeing the tank clear up some more....I think he will definately keep the fixture as it looks brighter. Although I will talk to the LFS about drilling some ventilation holes in the canopy. That things get WARM. Looking at the Phoenix or the XDE bulbs....do you think there would be any LPS that they would not be able to keep? They won't be doing any SPS that I know of. The only thing more demanding they may look into down the road would be a clam.

Jim

sirreal63
05/20/2008, 07:05 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply...my daughter was inducted into the National Junior Honor Society...it kept me busy and beaming. :D

I kept a clam and sps frags healthy on the sand in my old 125...it was 21" tall but my fixture puts much more light to the tank than the Orbit. One thing to remember about the Orbit 10k bulbs...they are very yellow, much more so than the XDE's in a 150 watt. With all that said, you should have no problem with LPS, SPS in the top half and clams...with research, some are more light requiring than others. There are other 10K bulbs with high par as well. Keeping the water clear is also very important...carbon helps greatly here. With your help and experience they will be fine.

Ventilation is very important...run some small fans in the canopy, it helps greatly.

Kissfan79
05/20/2008, 07:58 PM
Congratulations on your daughter's inductation. My little girl is getting ready to graduate from kindergarten:). I'll helpmy folks do the research into the bulbs. I know my dad wants the bluer look but he may just have to sacrifice a shade of blue for a higher par bulb. Thanks again for the help.

Jim

BTW-Is that your car in your avatar? T/A or Firebird? Very nice either way.

sirreal63
05/20/2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks...I am proud of her, she is way smarter than I ever was or hope to be. :-)

This is the real one...just a simple Firebird, one I will never get rid of. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/sirreal63/Car%20Shots/DSCF0210rs.jpg