PDA

View Full Version : Testing for carbon exhaustion - Salifert

Malenurse
05/19/2008, 12:48 AM
I just purchased Salifert's "Activated Carbon" test kit. It's purpose is to measure the ability of activated carbon to adsorb organic substances. The instructions are to "add carbon until cone is filled" which is approximately 1/4 tsp of carbon; add 5ml of the water it's used in - i.e. aquarium water, add one drop of a blue/purple dye, then invert the test container slowly for about a minute. If the carbon is able to adsorb, it should adsorb the dye. Then you continue adding drops and inverting. More drops of dye adsorbed = better capacity of carbon to adsorb organics.

Here's my problem. I tested both ESV "Granular Activated Carbon" and API "Black Magic Professional Grade". I used new carbon and rinsed it very well (to minimize coal dust as per directions). According to the test, neither carbon was able to adsorb even one drop of dye. I find this hard to believe. Do you think it's a problem with the directions, the kit, or the carbon?

Chris

Michael
05/19/2008, 01:25 AM
ive never heard of the test kit you are talking about, however im interested because i run carbon 24-7, so im tagging along

sabbath
05/19/2008, 06:27 AM
Tagging as well.

jansenwrasse
05/19/2008, 07:22 AM
I am not familiar with this test but does it state a time frame that it should be absorbed in?

I would follow the directions and then after inverting let sit for 1 min the swirl gently for about 10 seconds every 20 seconds.

If the water is still in the container then I would be surprised if it would absorb things from the column without a mixing of some sort.

I would personally call it a testing issue.

A.T.T.R
05/19/2008, 03:14 PM
i see this kit all the time at the wholesaler... not many ppl use it im guessing since its the same one thats been gaining dust for over a year lol