PDA

View Full Version : Red Coral Anthias?

Ruskin
05/19/2008, 09:42 AM
So I was at a Fish store I'd never been to before and they had some Anthias labeled Red Coral Anthias. The females looked exactly like Lyretails to me, but then again, I'm no expert on Anthias. So I asked the guy their if they were Lyretails and Red Coral was either a miss labeling or another common name for Lyre's. After checking with someone else he came back and said, no they're Red Corals....

I came home and searched both here and the net and couldn't find much if anything about Red Coral's. So can one of you more informed Anthias guru's help me out here? I'm looking for Lyretails, and these fish seemed to be in great health with good colouring. I'll gladly make the trip back to pick them up, as long as i know what im buying.

Sorry, no pic either as i didn't have a camera on me @ the store.

Thanks,
Matt

ezcompany
05/19/2008, 11:20 AM
the person probably checked the invoice to the packing list from where he got the fish that said "red coral anthias", once its mislabeled from the beginning of the chain, all too often it becomes "it". if it looks exactly like a lyretail then it probably is.

Ruskin
05/20/2008, 03:42 PM
Well i pulled the trigger and went back to get 4. They're in the QT now. I'll try to get some pics when i put the lights on the tank tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Ruskin
05/21/2008, 03:57 PM
Well unfortunately one of the fish was dead when i checked the tank this afternoon. I thought one wasn't going to make it yesterday when opening the bag as it was very docile and discoloured. I hoped it was stress but i guess that wasn't the case. I took a photo or two that I will upload when I get a chance.

So that leads me to my newest question. I've been doing some reading and see that on more then one occasion people (Bob Fenner being one of them) suggest NOT to QT your Anthias. Anyone else have experience in this? The other 3 fish seem fine. 2 are always out in the water column and the third joins them. She just seems to dart back to safety when she sees a person in front of the tank. All three of them are eating Mysis.

I would like to hear your opinions as I want to do what is best for the 3 remaining fish.

Thanks,
Matt