PDA

View Full Version : Purple Up ???

Meaty24
05/19/2008, 10:44 AM
Does anyone use this? I have a relatively new tank (4 months) and am trying to get the coraline alge growth. Can this accelerate the purple alge?

Any downside?

tkeracer619
05/19/2008, 10:48 AM
Its just sand in a bottle. Does nothing.

If you want coraline keep your paramaters constant. Alk, calcium, and mag should all be kept at optimum levels.

The best way to accelerate the growth if you really want to is have somebody scrape a bunch of it off thier glass and into a container. mash up and spread the contents about in your tank. Helps seed the coraline everywere. Still need stable params but this helps.

Andrew
05/19/2008, 10:50 AM
Coraline growth is based on a couple factors including your CA levels and lighting. Purple up does raise your CA (calcium) levels but, it is pretty pricey. I myself as well as many other reefers choice to use pickle-lime water which is also a good way to raise your calcium levels. Pickle-lime can be found at most grocery stores for $2-3 for a large container. Do a search here on RC for some more info if you are interested in saving a few bucks and going that route.

AquaReeferMan
05/19/2008, 10:52 AM
Skip the Purple up and get a nice 2 part solution. I use Reef Code A and B from Brightwell aquatics. This helps keep your Ca, Alk, and Mag in check. Those 3 need to be kept up to desirable levels in order for it to grow.

downhillbiker
05/19/2008, 12:09 PM
purple up-worthless. just keep your calcium and alk up and you will get coralline. get some coralline scrapings from a friends tank and spread them throughout the tank. and put a coralline covered rock in front of a powerhead.

Meaty24
05/20/2008, 11:11 AM
I bought one bottle of the Purple Up. I figure I will try it and see what happens.

So, the Purple Up has calcium in it? If so, I guess I won't have to dose as much calcium, right?

Does it have any other elements like Magenisum?

goldmaniac
05/20/2008, 12:01 PM
I've found my purple coralline has spread faster since I got a second powerhead (Koralia4's).

I think flow has a lot to do with growth...