PDA

View Full Version : Are they OK? and Pump advice

fishykeeper
05/19/2008, 02:27 PM
Hi all,
Thanks to everyone who helped me by purchasing my livestock a couple of months ago. I hope they are all doing well. All of us at our home miss them! Any updates would be welcome!

While breaking down the tank I think it is probably a great time to "refresh" some of the components. I was using two mag drive pumps (9's I think) for return pumps. They were a little loud and weak. I have had them for about 7 years and think at the minimum I need to replace the impellers but may consider replacing them. What are your favorite submersible pumps? I don't want an external pumps because of space under my tank is limited and the Mrs doesn't like the idea secondary to prior leaks. I used two return pumps incase one went out then I would still have one running at all times. FYI I have a 155gal tank with a sump that probably holds about 20gal. I would think a combined turnover rate of about 10 times or 2000gal/hour would be good. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Bart

sean48183
05/19/2008, 07:40 PM
I would recommend looking into a 220 volt pump. I don't even know of any out there but you should check. I use a mag 18 on my 150g to pump water up from the basement to the main tank but the electric bill is killer. That meter is spinning like a top. I wish I would have looked into a 220v pump and maybe I still will.