PDA

View Full Version : Purple Bonsai?

orcafood
05/19/2008, 08:24 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee154/orcafood/purplebonsai.jpg

What would you sps guys say this is?

Atomikk
05/19/2008, 11:55 PM
It does look like a Tricolor Bonsai. Where is it from (harvested from)?

orcafood
05/20/2008, 04:16 AM
I have no idea where it was harvested from. I got it from some guy who sold me frags. It was dieing in his tank, so he just said I could take it. When I asked him where he got it or what it was he said he didn't know, but he guessed Mels Purple _______.
Is that a sps name?

Atomikk
05/20/2008, 07:23 AM
Nope. This is a common Tricolour, but there are a couple of places that they come from (That I know of).. Bali and Marshall Island. I am sure there are other places that these grow in, but for now, I know of 2.

orcafood
05/20/2008, 01:18 PM
What is the difference between purple bonsai and tricolor acropora?

GSMguy
05/20/2008, 03:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12578206#post12578206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by orcafood
What is the difference between purple bonsai and tricolor acropora?

there are a few species of tricolor SPS corals the bonsai is just one common name for one type.

Oldude
05/21/2008, 05:10 PM
To my understanding corals considered to be tri-colors are acroporas & generally it's A.valida, A.nana, A.cerealis or A.secale. In my opinion A.valida is the one most common of these to be called tri-color. It is also my understanding the Bonsai is a trade name for a "stubby" variety of A.valida that tends to stay shorter in height than other varieties with a tendancy to exhibit encrusting growth. It also tends to maintain its gorgous colors. It's one of my faves. That said, there are many so called Bonsai's out there but I would equate it with superman monti & the Real Deal superman monti. When someone makes up a non-scientific name for a particular coral they sell even though there are others that look the same but not from the same original colony they wouldn't be considered as the "same." There are many morphs & varieties of the same species so it gets complicated. Anyway long story short I would say you have a variety of Acropora valida.