PDA

View Full Version : How do I keep my alkalinity component from clogging?

Canadian
05/20/2008, 08:29 AM
My Reefdoser dual drips into my "sump" from about 6" above the water line through a 90 degree John Guest fitting tapped into a bracket with 3 separate 90 degree John Guest fittings for the Part A, Part B, and ATO line. However, my Part B repeatedly clogs within a day or two which is causing a significant variance in the amount of Part A and B actually being dosed to the tank. As a consequence my Ca is around 500 and my Alk is around 7dKH (both per Elos kits).

How do I address the clogging of the Part B so I can bring the alk back to balance with the Ca?

Here's a picture of the dosing lines above the tank:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/147Manifold.jpg

MThompson
05/20/2008, 10:29 AM
The best way to clean them out is with vinegar. I am not sure what your dosing schedule is, but you could make these changes....

1- put a tee in the ATO line (ATO should run across the top of the tee)
2- put John Guest ball valve before tee from ATO
3- put John Guest ball valve before tee from Part B
4- attach Part B to the valve before the base of the tee

Then when you want to dose Part B, close the ATO valve and open the Part B valve. When done, open ATO and close Part B....the ATO will help rinse the excess Part B into the tank, and keep the tee and 90 cleaned out.

Does that make sense? If not, I can draw a diagram....

Canadian
05/20/2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks. That makes sense but it kind of defeats the convenience of having a doser if you add in having to flip a valve every time the doser doses.

I suppose I could permanently tee the ATO line into the part B line with a check valve so it always flushes the valve without me having to do it manually.

MThompson
05/20/2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah...that would work too. I wonder if that set-up would be able to handle the flow if both the Part B and ATO were running simultaneously?

fyrfytr1717
05/21/2008, 12:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12578300#post12578300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Canadian
Thanks. That makes sense but it kind of defeats the convenience of having a doser if you add in having to flip a valve every time the doser doses.

I suppose I could permanently tee the ATO line into the part B line with a check valve so it always flushes the valve without me having to do it manually.

Hmmm, I like that. Good idea!