PDA

View Full Version : Fathead Anthias and pellets

will16
05/20/2008, 01:04 PM
Is there any trick to getting a fathead (or any anthias) to eat pellets? I have a fathead for about 2 weeks that just doesn't have any interest what so ever in pellets. Only eats mysis. The problem is my wife feeds the tank during the day and she will only do pellets. All other fish are fine but not the anthias. I was a little concerned about trying to starve him into eating pellets. I know anthias in general need to be fed often. Didn't want to cause a problem with him so early getting settled in our tank.

So far he is the only fish that is up and out when I leave for work so i can feed him some mysis before I leave. Problem is we are going on vacation soon, and will not be able to do this. Would really hate to come home to a 'starved to death anthias'

Thanks.

jbrownacu
05/21/2008, 08:45 AM
Try different types of dry food. Flakes might be a better shot than just pellets.

Also remember that Anthias love smaller zooplankton, so maybe get some bottled coral food with rotifers and cyclopeeze in it. Then your wife can just squirt some in the tank for it.

package
05/21/2008, 12:06 PM
Mine eat flakes but only because they see the other fish now eating them aggressively. Before I added a foxface (that is a complete pig) all of the fish would just pick slowly and I had to feed the Sunburst frozen meat cubes.

Now the foxface attacks whatever hits the water and everything else follows.

will16
05/21/2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the input. Don't think my fathead gets it. When I feed pellets, all the other fish go crazy around him snapping everything up. Pellets float right past his mouth and no reaction. Hope he figures it out soon.

Thanks.

Toddrtrex
05/21/2008, 12:58 PM
If it has only been two weeks I wouldn't worry about it just yet. It took mine a month before it would eat pellets. Heck it was 2 weeks before I actually saw it.

john37
05/21/2008, 02:56 PM
When you're feeding mysis mix in a little flake food as well. It may try the flake food once in a while but spit it out. Eventually it should take onto it.

Took mine almost a month to eat anything other than mysis.