PDA

View Full Version : New setup questions

acdraindrps
05/21/2008, 12:00 AM
I am brainstorming a new tank, and am swaying towards just doing an sps growout tank. It will be a 75 gallon Miracles aquarium. Anyone unfamiliar with these tanks, they are custom made with a glass euro bracing.

My overflowbox will be in the center, with two return holes on the left and right hand sides of the rear pane. The return from the sump will be a blueline pump, rated for 1100 gph and isn't pressure rated. The sump will be under the stand. From the sump, the water will pump up through one of the new SCWD (very nice btw, with 1" NPT and a removable top for cleaning) and then to each return.

I also plan to run a dart on a closed loop. The intake for the closed loop will be a 1.5" hole under the overflow box, and will be plumbed to the front two corners of the tank. I will drill the eurobracing with 1" holes in each front corner and fit a 3/4" sea swirl in through each hole, so the sea swirl will sit on the bracing.

I plan on using t5 lighting for the tank. I am already set on using them so don't go trying to change my mind:p

I was planning on using a six builb fixture, but may use an eight. Any input? Will six be enough? Should I use eight? Also, what fixtures are everyone using? Also, does anyone think that I will have too much flow in the tank?

Any input on my setup is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

acdraindrps
05/21/2008, 06:05 PM
anyone?

reefsahoy
05/21/2008, 06:09 PM
i'd be careful with the suction of a dart in the overflow. you might create micro bubbles sucking from the overflow all the way down to the intake then blowing them into the display tank. i myself have never had a closed loop so i'm not sure this would happen but it would be a headache if it did.

acdraindrps
05/21/2008, 10:38 PM
The hole for the closed loop will be just below the overflow box, not inside it. Thanks for the feedback though.