PDA

View Full Version : Fairy wrasses

vvolfe1
05/21/2008, 05:35 AM
I'm not to up on these small fish. I've been thinking of stocking my 90 with a few different kinds of males. Here are a few questions I was wondering. Will they be compatible with my 2 mandarins or will I have to relocate the mandarins to other tanks. Will more than one species of fairy wrasse get along? How many different species of them could I put in my 90? Any suggestions on types I shoulld get?
Thanks for the help

wrasseguy2
05/21/2008, 07:07 AM
they are fine with your mandarins...yes more than one will get along..but some are more aggresive than others...i found that the finespotted, redfin, whipfin, tonos, and scotts to be some of the most aggressive..also the green and blue fairys fade alot without a few females...i try to stager color and size

vvolfe1
05/21/2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks Wrasseguy2,
any suggestions on stocking a 90 with 3 or 4 kinds? and should I get females too?

reefer1024
05/21/2008, 05:18 PM
You wont have to worry about them attacking the mandarins, But I would be a little worried they would eat the pods that the mandarins need.

I cant say for sure. Just something to think about.

buzzbombtom
05/21/2008, 06:18 PM
fairys tend not to really go crazy for pods, they will eat but mine prefer mysis much more. i have read that the flames can be kinda aggressive but put a female flame in there and mellow the male out.

snorvich
05/22/2008, 08:06 AM
Actually female fairy wrasses can be worse than males with regards to aggression.

deanos
05/22/2008, 11:57 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. I had to sell my female C. Pylei due to extreme aggression.

dickhordishay
05/22/2008, 01:48 PM
How does one tell the difference between the sexes? I thought they were hermaphrodites until pairs formed. Or am I wrong on this?

Also, I would like to add more wrasse to my 55 gallon. I have a Scott's and longfin fairy wrasse already. Anything else I can add?

wrasseguy2
05/22/2008, 02:31 PM
i doubt that the scotts will let anything else go in a tank of that size..so i would not add one

snorvich
05/23/2008, 04:29 AM
Amen to that. And they are likely to go after what is already in the tank. This is one of the MOST aggressive fairy wrasses; I had to remove a pair.

LargeAngels
05/23/2008, 09:57 AM
I third that. I, as snorvich, had to remove my Scott's pair. Scott's should be by themselves.

wrasseguy2
05/23/2008, 12:27 PM
i had one that was by far the most aggressive fairy i have ever seen..but agree they should be by themselves.. if a tank is large enough one with a nice male and 3 or 4 females would be nice though

Toddrtrex
05/23/2008, 12:51 PM
My multicolored ( Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus ) is getting more aggressive with each passing month. S/he is starting to harass my potter's angel and pair of pink skunks. I couldn't see it getting along with another wrasse. When/if it jumps into the overflow again I will have to think if I am going to kept it or not.

dickhordishay
05/23/2008, 06:14 PM
Strange. Maybe 'cause he's new, but he seems really passive. Actually, my two clowns are more aggressive towards him than the other way around.

Strange, actually, because they get along with everybody, but chase him out when he "invades" their territory.

Liveaquaria says the Cirrhilabrus are most likely to get along on their website, but then they advise against it on their link here.

I guess I should've added more than 2 at once, because the big Scott's and the small longfin seem to be buddies after being in the QT for 3 weeks. They used to sleep together in the QT.