PDA

View Full Version : what to use...

jamest0o0
05/21/2008, 08:01 PM
So once my new tank is set up, what should I use to balance magnesium/calc/alk? How would you raise/lower these? My tank is 39g.

kau_cinta_ku
05/21/2008, 09:45 PM
when I didn't have a cal. reactor, I used randy's 2 part system.

Aquarist007
05/21/2008, 10:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12589666#post12589666 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
when I didn't have a cal. reactor, I used randy's 2 part system.

when your levels are where you want them then either randy's or
bionics two part are great. It takes about one minute to add the required amount every day
Two parts are great for maintain levels but not for raising them any great deal
to raise calcium levels I use Kent turbo calcium
to raise the alkalinity I use Kent super dKh

There is a dosing calculator in the reef chemistry forum--it will tell you how much of each to use and how much you can add of them at once

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/DSC_0054_1.jpg

kau_cinta_ku
05/21/2008, 10:39 PM
randy's 2 part works well to raise your levels. can you show me where it states that it is not to be used to raise your levels? not that I don't believe ya, but lots of ppl use it to raise and maintain their levels.

demonsp
05/21/2008, 10:45 PM
Information , education , and research. A new setup needs time to grow and mature. Adding chemicals can slow down or give bad readings if done to soon. Never add anything you cant test for. In a new setup with low to no stock then water changes alone will be fine. I see you threading alot and i think your jumping ahead and misunderstanding. All you need are the basics and then an understanding of the bascis then the rest will fall in place.
Tank , then minimum amount of LR the minimum amount of SB then good flow and a skimmer.Let tank cycle then start to add stock slowly.A few CUC then a fish or coral then more CUC then another fish and or coral. All while you test your water readings and perform proper tank maintance from water changes to cleaning equipment. This alone will get a great reef tank going without additives or reactors.Get this right and then go to the next step.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12588859#post12588859 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jamest0o0
So once my new tank is set up, what should I use to balance magnesium/calc/alk? How would you raise/lower these? My tank is 39g.

jamest0o0
05/21/2008, 11:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12590062#post12590062 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
Information , education , and research. A new setup needs time to grow and mature. Adding chemicals can slow down or give bad readings if done to soon. Never add anything you cant test for. In a new setup with low to no stock then water changes alone will be fine. I see you threading alot and i think your jumping ahead and misunderstanding. All you need are the basics and then an understanding of the bascis then the rest will fall in place.
Tank , then minimum amount of LR the minimum amount of SB then good flow and a skimmer.Let tank cycle then start to add stock slowly.A few CUC then a fish or coral then more CUC then another fish and or coral. All while you test your water readings and perform proper tank maintance from water changes to cleaning equipment. This alone will get a great reef tank going without additives or reactors.Get this right and then go to the next step.

Yeah, I know a lot more than I did when I started and I know about the system pretty good, but I totally agree I might be getting ahead of myself. I'm just worried because my first tank I started with too little and now I'm afriad to make the same mistake. thanks for all the help everyone.

demonsp
05/21/2008, 11:05 PM
With the basics down its much easier. Then go slow and easy.Helps spot problems faster and you keep the tank in balance and you can learn your stocks needs.
Use Ro or better water.
Have proper flow.
minimum amount of LR and sand.
Minimum equipment,skimmer powerheads and HOB filter with good lights.
Water test kit'S.
Let it cycle then come back and thread," cycle over now what"..

tmz
05/21/2008, 11:25 PM
Once your tank is cycled and steady, I would first get a test kit for calcium and alkalinity. For a 39gal I agree that a two part such as bionic is probably the most practical way to dose. While your salt mix will likely be all you need to maintain levels for some time it is good to know your calcium and alkalinity levels and to monitor them once a week or so when the tank is young. You can raise them a bit if you wan't to encourage coraline growth once you understand your levels. BTW salt mixes vary in calcium alkalinity and magnesium content. There is a thread in the reef Chemistry forum which lays out the variations.
You can wait several months to test for magnesium since there is a lot more of it than calcium in salt water( about 3x as much) and it depletes slowly. Once you choose to supplement magnesium you should stick with a product that contains mostly magnesium chloride not just epsom salt which is magnesium sulfide.( The magnesium in natural seawater is about 10 parts magnesium chloride to 1 partt magnesium sulfide)

Take some time to read the articles by Randy holmes Farely at the beggining of the Reef Chemistry Forum. They are difficult and I'm still rereading them and learning from them. They are full of reliable information and well worth the effort you put in.

jamest0o0
05/22/2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks a lot will do, I have salifert kits right now and an Ro/DI unit so for now I think I have everything I need.

Playa-1
05/22/2008, 10:26 PM
I use Kalk and it works just fine as a Calcium and Alk supplement.
Epsom Salt or Oceanic Salt mix for the Occasional Magnesium boost during a water change.