PDA

View Full Version : Uncured Live Rock?

maverick8182
05/22/2008, 09:38 AM
Hello, I have a 29g tank and its only been a month and a half, there are some hermet crabs and one blenny. I only have 10pounds of LR in there and the tank has already gone through its cylce. So now I just orderd 22pounds more. My question is that (can i put the uncured rock in the cycled tank even if I cleaned and scrubed it really good?) Thank You!

Peter Eichler
05/22/2008, 09:44 AM
It's best not to, you should cure the rock in a seperate container with a powerhead for circulation.

scrmbld33
05/22/2008, 09:46 AM
you have to cure in a seperate container. and

[welcome]

taillonjohn
05/22/2008, 09:48 AM
If you were to buy it from the lfs, go straight home, then put them in the tank, I would say yes.

"ordering" means there will definately be some die-off, so I myself would not put them into the tank. Of course, its up to you to judge how much die-off there is, versus how much scrubbing you plan to do. since there's not much in your tank, I would probably take the chance (never had a blenny but I think they are hardy)

if you dont feel confident, it never hurts to let them sit in a bucket for a week or two, just to be safe

maverick8182
05/22/2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks this helps me alot more.

GottisEgo
05/22/2008, 09:58 AM
Cure it seperately. There is gaurenteed to be die-off during transit, and even with alot of scrubbing, your ammonia level is going to spike very high. Blenny's are hardy but I doubt they can hold up to high nitrate/ammonias spikes.