PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on hardy SPS

adam1980
05/22/2008, 12:41 PM
I would like to get a sps does anyone know of a very easy one to keep. I tried keeping a miami orca- witch i think is an acro didnt work it died in about a month. So I want to know witch one is the easiest one and i should probally start with that. Thank-you

buck50bmg
05/22/2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1396482

stunreefer
05/22/2008, 01:13 PM
I would recommend a montipora digitata. very forgiving on almost all parameters, and grwos fast.

You could maybe also try an easier acro like a green slimer (best if its out of another aquarium).

mcintosh
05/22/2008, 04:11 PM
I think you are going to run into issues until you solve the question you are hinting around. Why did the Miami Orchid die?

I had a coral that was sold to me as Miami Orchid and it has done great and I have fragged it many times. I think you will find that is the case with many of ORAs coral (Miami Orchid is an ORA propogated coral). So why did you lose yours?

Check you calcium and alkalinity levels. Check your nutrient levels (Ammonia, Nitrite should be zero, Nitrate and Phosphate should be barely detectable). Verify you have adequate flow for the coral (no coral should be put in the direct flow of a return or powerhead, but you should see the polyps of an acro moving almost constantly) and then try a Montipora digitata, Hydnopora like buck50bmg ahs, Acro. millepora, or Green slimer (Acro. yongei).

Or avoid them entirely as they are too addicting and you can't have just one! ;)

SuperNerd
05/22/2008, 04:25 PM
^^ Completely agree, especially the addicting part! :lol:

MCsaxmaster
05/22/2008, 04:54 PM
Hmmmm, well, I'd say the place to start is figuring out why the other coral died and addressing those issues before getting more.

adam1980
05/23/2008, 07:06 AM
Thanks guys.