PDA

View Full Version : Budget Canopy

SW_nOOb_SC
05/22/2008, 06:09 PM
Feel free to use my design if you'd like, please, by all means.. :D

I used some premium black stage/cable tape that i ganked off my dad's business and used a lightweight recyclable brown paper stock material i stole off the homeless guy under the I-20 underpass, how he acquired this rare durable material is beyond me. Put this with the PVC Metal Halide light stand and its quite possibly the most ghetto looking thing you've ever seen in this hobby.

This is my 10gal - 250w 14k. DIY light stand, DIY MH kit, DIY canopy, and DIY HOB filters with fuges.

Reason for this build was that walking up to the tank not only the glare in your eyes but the glare that reflects off the front glass, especially when wearing a white shirt. Not to mention the sunburn i get on my neck when sitting at my computer.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/canopy1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/canopy2.jpg

You ain't a balla until you have one of these on your tanks. :bum:

Paul_PSU
05/22/2008, 06:25 PM
You sure that cardboard...err uh I mean canopy isn't going to start smoking....:D

Now that is a budget DIY canopy. It serves it's purpose though.

You could always use some cheap wood and make a box cover with hooks on it that hangs off of the the top pvc rail and just over the front of the lights. You could probably make it for under $20 with paint.

You might be onto something with this thread:

Most Ghetto DIY Projects.....:bum:

I might have to post pics of my canopy. If you saw what I did with a stock canopy to add MH and T5's...pretty ghetto.

Esquare
05/22/2008, 06:36 PM
My Hero! What kid of tape is that? It's not truley ghetto unless you use duct tape. :)

SW_nOOb_SC
05/22/2008, 06:37 PM
Haha i've considered wood, but this was a quick fix. I do like your idea with the wooden box though.

Its what my dad calls "stage tape". He uses it for his business to tape wires down for sets/stages.

Esquare
05/22/2008, 06:41 PM
That's too uptown. Maybe you could put a lift kit on it or something. :)

Paul_PSU
05/22/2008, 06:46 PM
Esquare, now your talking, get some chrome paint for that pvc!

Esquare
05/22/2008, 06:48 PM
How about some neon for under the tank!

Jusk in a joking mood SW, I've done diy projects that make yours look top notch. :)

SW_nOOb_SC
05/22/2008, 06:50 PM
Oh i love joking, half of why i did it like this. ;)

I do have some left over UV Cold Cathodes from a computer build HMMMMM

Esquare
05/22/2008, 06:55 PM
I'm hearing low rider in my head. Now how do we keep the water in when we install the bounce kit?

Esquare
05/22/2008, 06:56 PM
Oh heck, now I'm actually trying to figure out how to do it. Talk about water flow>

SW_nOOb_SC
05/22/2008, 07:28 PM
It will just be a wave maker of sorts!

Esquare
05/23/2008, 05:53 AM
I think we're onto something here. Fish swimming around with bling, Corals working the corners. Yeah, a whole new approach to reefing.

Paul_PSU
05/23/2008, 06:04 AM
Here's a thought......chrome spinners on the front of the powerheads...:eek1:

rugar20
05/23/2008, 08:23 AM
chrome exhaust pipes according to my wife
and you need to tint the windows so dark you cannot see through them
and bass turned up so loud it vibrates everything