PDA

View Full Version : Clear mesh top warning

ezcompany
05/22/2008, 08:02 PM
For those of you using the clear mesh top as a cover for your expensive fish, please read the following:

I came home to a tank out of power this evening, when I investigated, I saw a hole right in the middle of the mesh top screening I had for keeping my fairy wrasse inside.

I soon found out my Lineatus jumped through, ripping a hole, and landed near my sockets that were powering the tank, and was uncovered at the time.

So the question was how in the world did this happen....well it turns out that the mesh, under extreme heat stress turns very weak and brittle. As I touched the area, it simply gave way without any tension, while the area towards the perimeter still had its tensile strenght. The bulb is a 250 metal halide around 5 inches away from the mesh. For those of you running a similar set up like me with expensive fish, you might want to check your cover.

That being said, I am through with expensive fish...

http://i29.*******.com/2mhezwi.jpg

john37
05/22/2008, 08:35 PM
i feel you man, i loved all my wrasses my flashers, mystery, and lineatus jumped. I also had a bellus angel and goldflake angel jump. I was soooooo ****ed. that's why i want to make a fish only w/a glass top.

Gary Majchrzak
05/22/2008, 08:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12595925#post12595925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
The bulb is a 250 metal halide around 5 inches away from the mesh.
beware- UV emitted from a halide can and will cause plastic center braces to crumble in a similar fashion if not enclosed in a protective glass envelope and/or fan cooled

Philwd
05/22/2008, 09:42 PM
How long was the mesh there before the lineatus jumped?

cl2ysta1
05/22/2008, 10:26 PM
i'm guessing a while. i check mine daily, and b/c i'm running lumenbrights they are about 16 inches away from the mesh.

ezcompany
05/22/2008, 11:14 PM
mesh was there for around 5 months

heuerfan
05/23/2008, 06:43 AM
Sorry to hear that EZ, i've lost a lineatus before to jumping as well, was very sad.

I'm using the same mesh but its under 150 de bulb, about 5 inches away. So far its still holding up after a year.

jmaneyapanda
05/23/2008, 07:10 AM
EZ, not that this helps NOW... but that mesh is not the type of mesh you should've used (as far as I can determine from the pics). If you go to a garden store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and get the garden netting, it is "supposedly" UV resistant, and is typically balck. That white or cler stuff you have, where did it come from? I'm guessing it was for indoor or "craft" purposes, and once exposed to the heat and UV from the halides, got brittle in very short order. The same thing happens to zip ties taht are not outdooor use specific. The get brittle and break in a stiff breeze. Sorry for your loss.

ezcompany
05/23/2008, 10:38 AM
you know whats funny though, i was originally using the black pond netting, however the holes were too large and it was just hideous, which is why i switched to this screening. :(

coralnut99
05/23/2008, 11:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12598172#post12598172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmaneyapanda
EZ, not that this helps NOW... but that mesh is not the type of mesh you should've used (as far as I can determine from the pics). If you go to a garden store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and get the garden netting, it is "supposedly" UV resistant, and is typically balck. That white or cler stuff you have, where did it come from? I'm guessing it was for indoor or "craft" purposes, and once exposed to the heat and UV from the halides, got brittle in very short order. The same thing happens to zip ties taht are not outdooor use specific. The get brittle and break in a stiff breeze. Sorry for your loss.

That's it in a nutshell. The first person to DIY the screen tops used a netting designed to retain loose-fill insulation. You can bet there's no UV inhibiting properties in that stuff. The netting you see sold as a bird-block in garden centers is designed to be out in the sun at extreme temperatures and full sunlight exposure. The holes are surely too large, but all you have to do is overlap two sections to cut down the hole size. I've had it over two of my displays for well over a year, and it shows no signs of brittling. Expensive carpet-surfers are an absolute heartbreaker. We've all been there, but it still stinks.

mpoletti
05/23/2008, 11:23 AM
Sorry to hear about the netting. I lost a female rhomboid that went threw my netting and I found it crispy on the top the next morning.

I have heard that the netting does need to be relaced every 6 months. I have also heard that the black netting holds up a little better.

Nano Chris
05/23/2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry to hear about that, I'm glad i have a hood on my tank, in case my fish want to go jumping.

EllieSuz
05/23/2008, 09:20 PM
I'd like to give the clear netting a try. Where can it be purchased? (I don't have MH lighting and the bird netting is too big for my little Nano fish).

coralnut99
05/24/2008, 05:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12603487#post12603487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EllieSuz
I'd like to give the clear netting a try. Where can it be purchased? (I don't have MH lighting and the bird netting is too big for my little Nano fish).

The bird netting is far easier to find, and all you have to do is alternate two sheets to cut down on the opening size.

bradleyj
05/24/2008, 07:08 AM
[/QUOTE] The bird netting is far easier to find, and all you have to do is alternate two sheets to cut down on the opening size. [/QUOTE] [/B]

Here is mine that is doubled up to keep the smaller guys in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/tileman/Recent%20Pix/100_2993.jpg

Eklikewhoa
05/24/2008, 08:17 AM
I am using the netting from a seine net found at Wal-Mart for only $10 and it was 4'x10'.....1/4" holes.

Mine is 4-5" under 250wMH.

basser1
05/24/2008, 08:22 AM
EZ..... That's terrible news about your wrasse. I've seen your tank and that was a real beauty.

EllieSuz
05/24/2008, 09:44 AM
Eklikewhoa, thanks...I'm going to Walmart today. Sounds like just what I need. You know, a lot of reefers come up with some darn clever ideas. So many of us think "outside the box".

CableGuy
05/24/2008, 11:46 AM
I just found my flame wrasse dried up on the floor this morning. I have been thinking of putting a mesh top on for quite some time but i never seem to get around to doing it. I guess it's time to do it before i lose more fish.

Eklikewhoa
05/24/2008, 06:42 PM
I've had my tank open for quite some time with no problems but now with the addition of my McCosker's wrasse I didn't want to push my luck anymore.

Malenurse
05/24/2008, 06:58 PM
Just wondering about ideas for making a frame of some sort for the mesh or seine netting (that looks decent) so that the mesh can be easily lifted off the tank. I have an AP 24, so the top is about 17x20. Would coat-hanger-type wire work?

coralnut99
05/24/2008, 07:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12607989#post12607989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Malenurse
Just wondering about ideas for making a frame of some sort for the mesh or seine netting (that looks decent) so that the mesh can be easily lifted off the tank. I have an AP 24, so the top is about 17x20. Would coat-hanger-type wire work?

Rusting is inevitable. Try a plastic knob from a discarded appliance or toy. It's pretty easy to just grab the screen frame though, when you want to lift it.

EvoX
05/24/2008, 09:13 PM
sorry to hear about the wrasse, sucks to lose fish to carpet surfing
right now ive been using egg crate, its not the prettiest thing but i heard something hit it last night so i think it works
but i dont want to make something that looks a little nicer
is the seine netting uv resistant?

Eklikewhoa
05/24/2008, 09:38 PM
If you get a window screen kit it comes with the little tabs that go in with the tubing so that would work just like if it were in your window.

Gary Majchrzak
05/24/2008, 09:56 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/gary334/IMG_0607keeper.jpg

supplies needed see link:
http://www.rareclownfish.com/forums/f32/diy-screen-covering-top-381/#post4552

fhayward
05/24/2008, 10:25 PM
I used 1/2 inch PVC for the frame and covered it with a double layer of pond netting; fastened with ty-raps and silicon sealer. Totally non-corrosive and sturdy. Made a small trap door of egg crate for feeding and placing my Magnivore 8 for cleaning. I'm happy with the outcome. BTW: My 400 watt metal halides are ~5 inches aove the netting.

Malenurse
05/25/2008, 01:23 AM
Excellent advice and link. Thanks so much!