PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI cartrige longivity ?

Ronny#66
05/22/2008, 08:31 PM
I make only 7-10 gallons weekly . I was mistaken And though that the filter cartrage media had to be changed yearly. Well I purchased new media from Filter guys and after i read my manual to the filter and as most know it sugests every 6 months. Well I also purchased a inline tds meter and output is still 0 .I asked Jim at filter guys if i had to change every 6 months he said some go a year but sugested that i at least change the carbon media. He said bad carbon will cause the membrane to fail . So my ? is how do you tell carbon is getting bad by the pressure gage ? Do you in reality need to change these filters every six months if you only make 40 gallond a month on average. What do you all do ?

frank2926
05/22/2008, 09:26 PM
I change my carbons every six months. My prefilters as needed as indicated by a drop in pressure. One of the reasons this is done is to prevent a bacteria growth. You use your pressure gauge to tell if your carbon is getting clogged. Check your pressure before it and after it. If you see say a 10% drop in pressure it is getting clogged and needs to be replaced. The lower your pressure to your membrane the more TDS will pass thru it and will have to be removed by the DI . By making very little water I would think you are at a higher risk for bacteria growth.

Buckeye Hydro
05/23/2008, 03:41 AM
With carbon blocks there are two issues to consider.

1. Are the pores in the block clogging and robbing pressure that would have been delivered to the membrane? Use your pressure gauge to judge this.

2. Don't exceed the chlorine capacity of the block - or as you heard, chlorine will reach the membrane and damage/ruin it.

Russ