PDA

View Full Version : pistol shrimp question - paired with yasha

eaglesrx
05/23/2008, 10:33 AM
Okay, not sure which forum is best.

I had to move around the rock work of my tank. I didn't see if my randal's pistol shrimp was in the same spot or had a new burrow. He hasn't found my yasha gobies yet. I'm afraid that I may have placed a big rock on top of him. I don't think I placed it on his burrow, but it's tough to tell. Do you think this would kill him or would he be able to burrow his way out?

Thanks!

eaglesrx
05/23/2008, 11:40 AM
In addition, which do you think is more likely, the pistol moving out of his current spot to find the yasha or the yasha moving out of his current spot to find the pistol?

Thanks!

jmaneyapanda
05/23/2008, 01:48 PM
I dont think this answers eirgher of your questions, but I would just suggest you leave things alone, and let nature work. Trying to "force" the pairing isn't gonna be successful, in my opinion.

SDguy
05/23/2008, 01:59 PM
When I introduced a pistol shrimp to a tank with a randall's shrimp goby already in it (2 weeks), the goby saw the shrimp, and immediately swam over to it. The shrimp is virtually blind, and will not go searching for the fish, IMO.

eaglesrx
05/23/2008, 02:29 PM
Good to know! How extensive are the randal's burrows? I'm hoping his burrows will eventually have openings that the yasha will see and then, jump in.

Thanks!
Phu

SDguy
05/23/2008, 02:34 PM
It was only a 30g hex, so the burrows pretty much covered the entire bottom.

eaglesrx
05/23/2008, 10:23 PM
Okay, I haven't seen my pistol shrimp since Thursday when I tried moved around my rock. My tank's only 28g, I tried to look for any hole where he might have dug a burrow and/or moved some empty shells around the opening. But, I haven't seen any evidence of him yet. Is this a sign that I killed him when I moved the rock? Or if he's still alive, how long will it take for him to surface? I did only get him on Wednesday.

Another interesting thing is, I checked the cave where my yasha pair reside during the day. I don't see them at all. They must be deep in a crevice within the cave where I can't see them.

Thanks for any help with the above questions!

Ralph ATL
05/25/2008, 10:19 AM
as jmaneyapanda said, I would leave things alone. If it's dead, well, then it's dead. However, I would doubt that you killed it, but you might not find out for a long time. My Yasha & Pistol disappear for months at a time.

eaglesrx
05/25/2008, 02:54 PM
What do you guys think of 2 randalli pistol shrimps in a 28g tank? would they fight, would they not be able to find enough food?

the reason I'm asking is, that if my randalli may still be alive and I buy another pistol, i'm wondering if 2 will work.

thanks

Ralph ATL
05/25/2008, 02:59 PM
sounds ok to me