PDA

View Full Version : Live rock sources....

AquariumPerson
05/23/2008, 02:26 PM
Hi, i am not new to the hobby but i am posting here anyways, anyhow.

My brother ordered 45 pounds of "fiji select premium" live rock from liveaquaria.com and it was disappointing to say the least. this was for his 65 gallon. right after we opened the box hundreds of these black flies flew off of the rock, it was something out of a horror movie 0_o not really but close.
the rock looked decent enough but i still havent seen a single animal appear to come out of the rock etc. it appears to be pretty dead.

anyhow, after my dad saw the rock he called and complained and they are sending us 45 more pounds free, which is good i suppose but i am afraid it will be the same all over again..

besides that, my question actually is, has anyone ever ordered from gulf-view.com ? they have this rock called "deco rock" and i am considereding to use this instead of live aquaria's fiji to start my 29 gallon. my brother is planning to use the additional rock they are sending us for his 65.
:eek1:

what do u all think about this? thanks.

Bebo77
05/23/2008, 02:28 PM
lol.. its not called live rock because things are really living on it...

the "live" part refers mostly to beneficial bacteria that exists on the LR...

your next batch will look the same.. you need to cure it...

AquariumPerson
05/23/2008, 02:31 PM
yeah i get the bacteria thing, but i would have thought at least there would be some snail or something like that on it.... idk

Bebo77
05/23/2008, 02:35 PM
naa you wont get anything like that... and when it cures.. oh my goodness.. it REEKS....