PDA

View Full Version : I'm under siege

bourbeaue
05/23/2008, 08:15 PM
My 165g reef is under siege from what appears to be the sporophyte stage of the asparagopsis.

This red fluffy stuff grows like crazy, is everywhere and I can't get rid of it. It has taken position in my live rock, at the base of my SPS corals, on the substrate and in my overflow. Once a week I have to suck up as much as I can during a water change, but it grows right back.

I have hermit crabs, margarita and turbo snails, emeral crabs, but no one seems interested in eating this stuff.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

slevesque
05/23/2008, 08:48 PM
I got some too. It seemed to be an hitchicker from a ball of cheato I got in Laval. Someone suggested a big mexican turbo snail but couldn't find any. It slowed down a bit recently. I'm tring to reduce my feeding anyway, it might help.

bourbeaue
05/23/2008, 09:21 PM
I think mine came from the same source. Came with some Cheato I got from World Fish. I think they had gotten the cheato it from a customer and passed it on. I am trying to find those Mexican turbo fluctuosa snails as well. Let me know if you find any. I will do the same.

plateboy3293
05/25/2008, 10:41 AM
LiveAquaria.com sells mexican turbos

danielsauve1966
05/27/2008, 10:30 AM
Hey Guys, I have the same problem since about 6 months and here is the things I have done without sign. improvement:

- Remove by hand the most that I can once a week
- Reduce lighting hours
- Increase Mg rate from 1350ppm to 1600ppm
- Increase and change Rowas media
- Added long spine urchin recently and waiting...

Any help from experience members would be appreciated. this is coming out of control.

From my research it looks like Asparagopsis Taxiformis. Red and fluffy algue growing on live rock and base of Acros.

Thanks!

bourbeaue
05/27/2008, 11:30 AM
The only info I found online is that Mexican Turbo snails are the only thing that will (apparently) eat Asparagopsis.

bourbeaue
05/27/2008, 07:59 PM
Daniel,

connais-tu un bon endroit pour acheter des Mexican Turbo snails dans la région de Montréal ?

Il y a J&L Aquatics Ã* Vancouver qui peut en livrer, mais c'est entre 30-60$ de livraison.

slevesque
05/27/2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks plateboy3293 but we can't import (easily) live fish from USA.

Eric, as-tu communiqué avec J&L? Il n'y en pas de listé sur leur site web.

Une solution est de demander Ã* un magasin d'en commander sachant qu'il y a au moins 3 acheteurs. Une autre solution est commander chez J&L et de séparer les frais d'expédition.

bourbeaue
05/28/2008, 08:58 AM
J'ai parlé Ã* J&L et ils en ont en stock. En effet on pourrait partager les frais d'expédition. Ils les vendent 1.95$ chaque je crois. Ils ont vraiment une sélection incroyable de vivants... Je suis déjÃ* allé.

bourbeaue
05/28/2008, 08:58 AM
J'ai parlé Ã* J&L et ils en ont en stock. En effet on pourrait partager les frais d'expédition. Ils les vendent 1.95$ chaque je crois. Ils ont vraiment une sélection incroyable de vivants... Je suis déjÃ* allé.

danielsauve1966
05/28/2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Guys, actually I read that Pacific turbo snail eat them..
Maybe you could check with RS Solutions at Laval, they might be able to get them...
So far my long spine urchin seems to eat it but I will have to check and confirm for sure...
Any other suggestion apart the turbo snails??

Thanks!

danielsauve1966
05/28/2008, 10:10 AM
Anybody else have a problem with this red fluffy algue? It look strange that we are a few people of the same area with this problem...It is has bad as Bryopsis...

slevesque
05/28/2008, 11:43 AM
Well Dan, this is the LFS where I got the problem in the first place so, no thanks :). Great prices on dry goods though.

danielsauve1966
05/29/2008, 11:42 AM
There is TD in beloeil that has Pacific Turbo's but they are 3.49 each.
What happened with RS Solution, what did you buy exactly that brought this problem??

slevesque
05/29/2008, 08:39 PM
I bought some pepermint shrimps and the employee put some cheato in the bag for them to hold on. It was a very nice attention I must admit. I was all happy to get a free ball of cheato so I kept it and didn't pay attention to the micro red stuff floating and being attached to the cheato.

It happends few months ago.

bourbeaue
05/29/2008, 10:39 PM
Do you guys know OceanView enterprise ? They are a wholesaler based out of Montreal who does huge volume on fish and inverts. His last shipment was 700 fish...

I spoke to him about our problem and he says he can get Pacific Turbos by next week. Maybe if we pool together a decent order it would be best.

I am going to order 20 for my asparagopsis problem. Anyone interested ?

you can find him at www.oceanviewenterprise.com. He has got a photo of Mexican Turbos on his site under inverts.

slevesque
05/30/2008, 07:22 AM
I would be in for 10. Do you have an idea of the price? I like their free delivery option.

bourbeaue
05/30/2008, 07:29 AM
I Will get the info and get back to you.

danielsauve1966
05/30/2008, 10:51 AM
Where are you guys located? I am in Ste-Julie, south shore of Montreal..
Thanks for the link, it looks like a nice place to buy... Do you know if we can go there or it is only an online store?

slevesque
05/30/2008, 10:51 AM
I'm in Lachine

piercho
05/30/2008, 03:21 PM
The Mexican Turbos are a comparatively large Turbo. IME they don't last very long, but can last a few weeks. IMO they starve as they get lighter over time. IME they reliably eat Asparagopsis taxiformis, and a few other finely-filamented algae, but not all. IME Diadema urchins, Kole tangs, Powder brown tangs, Lawnmower blennies, and large Astrea snails do not graze Asparagopsis taxiformis. The algae can be brushed off easily and siphoned up but it will spread by fragmentation so this can spread it if you miss any small bits.

My local retailer has also stopped carrying Mexican turbos except if asked. The reason he cited is that they don't last very long and customers prefer Astreas.

bourbeaue
06/02/2008, 09:03 PM
The owner is very nice, his name is Eric. You can definitely go there and buy, but its not a regular store. I am also on the South Shore (St-Lambert). If you guys are sure you want some, I can have him bring in enough Mexican Turbos for all of us.

I will send him a note and get back to you with price, delays.

Thanks Piercho for the info. I concurr with everything you write...

bourbeaue
06/07/2008, 09:24 PM
Spoke to him yesterday. He has not been able to get Mexican turbos lately...

I haven't found any in Mtl.

Spoke to J&L again in vancouver. They can ship overnight and have them in stock at $1.95 ea.

However, overnight air shipping from Vancouver to Montreal is $50, and you have to go pick up the goods at Dorval airport cargo. Not very convenient...

We could put a big order together for those who need Mexican Turbo snails (or other stuff) and have one of us pick it up at the airport and slip the shipping.

Let me know if you are interested. I think I will place an order Monday. They ship out on Wednesday so I could pick up at airport on Thursday June 12.

you can email me direct if interested: eric.bourbeau@telus.com.