PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Coral...Filter Feeder?

eb0
05/24/2008, 10:52 AM
I know that the pearl bubble coral is a photosynthetic coral and gains most of its energy from the light, but I'm wondering what the best food is for when the sweeper tentacles are out? Right now I am spot feeding them at night when I see them out about once or twice a week. I'm using a fat end sryinge and have a mixture of: cyclopeze, blood worms, and brine shrimp w/ super selco and seachem nutrient additvies. Is this suffcient of should I be using something large i.e. silversides, krill?

Also, going to be purchasing a RBTA and planning on feeding it a silverside, brine, krill + nutrient mix will this suffice? Any other opinions on what may be better either for the pearl bubble or rbta?

Thanks for any input thats going to come

airinhere
05/27/2008, 01:50 PM
You are doing fine.

There are no digestive juices inside a bubble coral, so all the food uptake is by the direct contact of coral stomach to food particle. Logically, the smaller the particles that you start with the easier for the coral to uptake the food.

For the RBTA. feed it just like you are feeding the bubble coral. And for the same reasons. RBTA are known to regurgitate large pieces of food if they become stressed. And there is anecdotal evidence of karge pieces of food deomposing while indside the anem, causing potential problems.

Lockhartia
05/28/2008, 07:03 AM
My bubble was very successful at consuming a whole banggai cardinalfish, so can they eat larger food? I would definately say yes! I don't feed clyclopeeze all that often, it just seems like my bubble has a hard time grabbing it. I hand feed it some mysis, usually half a cube and it consumes it no problem. Same for the rest of my lps, I just hold a frozen cube in my hand and wiggle it in the tenticles and the corals grab the mysis as they melt off the cube.

I would replace the brine shrimp with mysis, brine just isn't very nutritional. Chopped up silversides will be just fine for either coral or anemone. I had a carpet anemone at the LFS I used to manage the size of a dinner plate charger and I'd give him whole silversides (when he wasn't eating powder blue and atlantic tangs...)