PDA

View Full Version : gonopora problem from fish

pitogo
05/24/2008, 11:27 PM
I have a very nice gonopora doing well in my tank but there are two problems. One is that I have a six stripe wrasse that picks at it at times and spits out flesh. I know that can't be good. The second issue is my false clown. My female clown like to get in it thinking its a host. I don't think that is right or good is it?

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance

ILoveReefer
05/24/2008, 11:35 PM
Sorry to here. But the fish have to go or the gonopora has to go. If not seperated the gonopora will die. Either in seperate tanks or if you can take one or the other back to the store.

demonsp
05/24/2008, 11:44 PM
The six line is reef safe.Might just be hungry. What do you feed and how often.
Then clowns will host any coral to feel safe.Be glad its hosting because many cant get them to host.This is fine and wont harm the coral but the coral might get a little stressed while it adjusts to its new friend. My male will host any nearby coral as the female only lets him in the anemone at night.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/demonsperm/DSC01268.jpg

ILoveReefer
05/25/2008, 12:12 AM
My clown host in basically all my lps corals. Doesn't really do any damage, but there also about 25 different corals to host in. He spends only a little time in each. Back when I only had a few lps corals in a 29g his hosting killed a small colony of 4 or 5 heads of frogspawn. Couldn't get rid of nemo, this happened at about the same time the movie came out. Had to keep my niece and nephews happy.

Rockhead21564
05/25/2008, 03:53 AM
First, no it isn't fine for the clown to host in a goni, it causes the goni to retract it's stalks and not feed. Thus it dies.

Second, it's most likely going to die anyway. Only like 3 in a 1000 can be kept alive more than a year or so. You should read up on them. something such as a parasite or bad shipping is causing an astronmical death rate. Any LFS that sells them without a HUGE warning is garbage, IMO.

triggerjay
05/25/2008, 04:04 AM
http://www.goniopora.org
More info than you ever want to know about goniopora.

Jason