PDA

View Full Version : HELP green bubble algae

Sophie-G
05/25/2008, 06:21 AM
What is the best way to dispose of green bubble algae?
Any ideas? We have some forming on our flower pot coral and pagoda
concerned that it will take over these corals. I have heard that if you break them they spread, what options do we have?

BeesGoneWild
05/25/2008, 07:11 AM
Carefully siphon them out during a water change. YOu can try emerald crabs but there debatable whether or not they do more harm than good, some wont even go near the stuff.
Almost every nuisance algae is a nutrient problem so find the algaes food source and you have the battle half in the bag.
http://www.brettsreef.com/index.php/tips-on-battling-nuisance-algae-in-the-marine-aquarium/

DevilBoy
05/25/2008, 08:11 AM
I had bubble algae and bought 2 emerald crabs and they took care of the problem.

As for the bubble bursting and spreading the spores, i really disagree with that, i know people have been saying that for years. But has anyone seen a emerald crab eat valonia?

I have sat and watched my emerald, they basically burst the bubble with their pinchers. so what is the difference if the aquarist accidently breaks it?

reefnetworth
05/25/2008, 09:29 AM
three hours after i placed a FoxFace Lo in, it ate the GBA before starting to devour an attemted overtake of Caulerpa that had sprouted from the LR.
it eats anything green!!!
i agree with DevilBoy, i have never seen it spread from breaking the bubble either.

reefergeorge
05/25/2008, 10:56 AM
If you can't use a tang or foxface (both of mine love the stuff). Remove the rock, and manually remove the whole bubble.