PDA

View Full Version : % of SW to keep for a move?

reefnetworth
05/25/2008, 01:52 PM
1st move in 17 yrs. and 8 mo!
is there a common percentage of total volume? or do i just use whats in my transportation containers? :confused:

billsreef
05/25/2008, 03:23 PM
Are you able to set up pre mixed SW water a couple of days ahead of time in the house your moving too? If so, it's no worse than bringing fish home from the store, and you can just deal with the transportation issue without worrying about water. If not, than I would go for transporting as much water as you can. Around 50% at least, more is better if can't have aged water waiting on the other end.

reefnetworth
05/26/2008, 06:23 AM
yes, i plan on having a couple of R-M's heated and tested at least 2 days before the move.
i planned on putting the fish, corals, and LR into 5G buckets, which should be appx. 50G of SW including the diplacement.
total volume of display and sump should be appx. 130G "IF", i have it calculated correctly with displacement. :rolleyes:

rsisman
05/26/2008, 06:46 AM
I wonder if there is a thread on how-to move a reef tank successfully. I will have to do this in about a couple of months and I am dreading that day.

billsreef
05/26/2008, 07:21 AM
reefnetworth,

Sounds like you'll be set. One thing I would change in your plans, get some cheap coolers for transporting the animals instead of the buckets. The actual move has a way of taking longer than planned, and the temperature stability of the coolers will allow you take all the time you need without the worry of overheating those buckets ;)

rsisman,

There have been a couple of threads on the topic over the years ;)

m2434
05/26/2008, 08:43 AM
The first time I moved tanks I set up a new tank at the new location 1 month beforehand. However, I Just moved again recently and completely moved two tanks. I basically moved everything and once I got here, dumped ~10% of the water and did a 10% water change. It has been a month and everything seems to be thriving. Although, I did have some cyano pop up...

reefnetworth
05/26/2008, 10:23 AM
the adult side of me says: "better idea Bill!"

the blonde side of me says: "what im i doing with all these salt buckets?"

rsisman, i have read em' several times...
my gut says: "ask just in case you forgot something." :thumbsup: