PDA

View Full Version : Best media for phosphate removal ?

scarysdad
05/26/2008, 12:36 PM
I have not set up a SW tank yet but have one in the planning stages.....I have noticed recently in tropical tanks that my usually clear water was a little cloudy on most of my tanks so I checked all the usual params NO2, NO3 and Ammonia...all perfect. But after reading many posts on this and other Reef forums I started to wonder if the problem could be Phosphates in my tapwater.....so I checked an low and behold....off the scale of my kit.....So what is the best method for removing PO4 from tapwater....I know you are going to say RO unit but I am looking for a 'quick fix' just now till I save up enough for a unit....

Opinions please.....

Craig

lukeeee1990
05/26/2008, 12:40 PM
phosguard? x-phos? phosban?

osprey77
05/26/2008, 12:48 PM
run through a brita or other store bought water filter pitcher..... you did say short term.

ReefRockerLive
05/26/2008, 12:51 PM
In tap water there are more things than just phosphates to worry about. I would get a bucket, a powerhead, and some GFO media then let it run overnight to strip the tap water of phosphates.

sfuzer
06/09/2008, 07:11 PM
I have used both PhosBan and ROWAphos. I personally had much better results eliminating HA with ROWAphos (in fact it eliminated it completely). THe PhosBan just did not make a dent in the HA.

USC-fan
06/09/2008, 07:30 PM
Warner Marine Research PHOSaR HC is the best.