PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Moonlights: Nocturnal Blue or Lunar White Preferences?

ROB2005
05/26/2008, 05:27 PM
I know moonlights don't really add much benefit to the growth of a tank, but I wanted to ask why most reefers prefer the nocturnal blue over the lunar whites? Anyone else have any input?

Colin
05/26/2008, 06:50 PM
It's just a matter of personal preference. Natural moonlight is just reflected sunlight so technically you'd want something around 6500K (white) if you were trying to replicate natural moonlight. However, blue moonlight is like actinic lighting and "pops" the corals at night.

--Colin

drtrash
05/26/2008, 08:39 PM
I tried both & iMO white is the way to go. The blue is really muddy looking same old same old, but the white adds really difuse light with lots of shadowing. Very cool and interesting. If you have alot of surface agitation you get a shimmer likea halide bulb.

carlos_fb
05/26/2008, 08:53 PM
I had both and I think the white one looks more natural.

ROB2005
05/26/2008, 09:41 PM
That's what I was kind of analyzing about the white moonlights. I figured they would give a more tasteful and natural appearance to the tank.

ReefNOut
06/05/2008, 10:05 PM
I personally like the blue, white ones do not do anything to the coral and just light the tank up. The coral is just as bland as the rock. Blue ones on the other hand turn some of my corals very crazy colors and I have some coral that arent my favorite under 14k with actinic that at night with the blue leds I cannot stop staring at.

sdfish
06/06/2008, 12:27 AM
i run the blue ones as well and really like them i get a nice shimmer from them at night and also makes the rock in my tank really look nice. get lots of complements.

no were close to what it looks like with actics tho

JayB1224
06/06/2008, 03:24 AM
When i had my current usa fixture it had white and blue moonlights. Id have to say the white looked the best but if you turned them both on at the same time it looked amazing.

DrBegalke
06/06/2008, 10:58 AM
Its all just a matter of personal preference. I have used red and purple LEDs before as well. The red seemed to allow even more nocturnal activity, but it also was not as bright as blue or white LEDs.

BonesCJ
06/06/2008, 05:18 PM
I really like the look of white, living in the desert with clear skys there have been many nights I have spent outside with a full moon and the white look is exactly what you see then. Fish also seem to respond to it better