PDA

View Full Version : t5 endcaps?

dzeadow
05/26/2008, 07:23 PM
anyone diy t5 endcaps or have something that's just as easy to remove/use? I'd like to save $75 by not having to buy 6 sets of them, I just don't want to run the risk of whatever may happen by not having something waterproof on the ends in an open canopy. TIA.

itZme
05/26/2008, 09:37 PM
Sounds like $75 that you would have to pay somewhere else... Even if you find something that works for only $25 you still have the extra work and worry involved in trying to make something work that isn't designed to work like you want it. I would gladly pay $50 to know that the endcaps aren't going to be a weak link and catch fire by having salt creep invade the connections.

I have a friend that had a Nano Cube catch fire because of salt creep on the endcaps but they were PC lights.

Even though it sucks to dish out hard-earned money, this is one case where you get what you pay for. If you want non-waterproof endcaps you can get them for $2/pr HERE (http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Parts_&_Accessories/DIY-Replacement_Parts/T5_Fluorescent/T5_Fluorescent_Twist-Lock_Sockets_(Pair)_by_AAG_Stucchi)

Good luck with your lighting,
-- Kevin

dzeadow
05/27/2008, 05:01 AM
thanks... I just thought I remembered someone doing wire connectors on the pins and then using that heat shrink electrical stuff as the end cap, heating it up and sealing it to the bulb and wires basically making it water proof... I'd just like to know how it held up if at all.

EnderG60
05/27/2008, 08:16 AM
i just used bullit style crimp connectors, the female ones. work great and a wrap of duct tape and they are decently waterproof, and cost about $.50 a side at most.

nauticac4
05/27/2008, 09:20 AM
Use the 2 dollar end caps and protect the lights with a cheap thin piece of acrylic.

kgross
05/27/2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/PROD/D3957

dzeadow
05/27/2008, 05:44 PM
thanks guys.. I think I'm leaning towards the via aqua ones now that just slip over the bulbs.. @7 a pair, that's not too terrible, 1/2 the cost of the ice cap ones.