PDA

View Full Version : Need to start over - can I store my rock??

marinenewbie
05/27/2008, 06:52 AM
:( Well, I am sad to say that I have failed my tank, and need to start over.

Not making excuses, but my Dad passed away a year ago, and during his three month illness with cancer, I simply did not have the time, nor the inclination to maintain it the way I know I needed to, and had done in the past.

Over time, all my little critters disappeared, and now I have a tank with rock, algae and cyano. (funny how that stuff can still live, even though I am not feeding anything!!!)

I have spent too much time and money over the years to give up entirely, and have a bigger tank I would like to set up at some point in the not too distant future. I have kept this tank going(topping up water every other day - skimmer going - powerheads going,) but would like to take it down,,,clean and do a maintenance run on the equipment, and begin again properly with a sump system (which I don't have now) and a bunch of other stuff.

So my question - what do I do with my rock and substrate?? Do I have to keep a tank 'running' to keep both?? I can't just let them dry out and store them in a tupperware container, can I?

I just don't know how quickly I can get to the new tank. Could be months yet...I don't want to rush the new set up and make more mistakes.

Any help you can provide would be a great help. I am so disappointed I have let things get to this stage...

reefnut2790
05/27/2008, 07:08 AM
you can store the LR in a large rubbermaid container with a heater and powerheads to keep circulation up. I would ditch the substrate and start fresh with new when you set back up.

jimbo78
05/27/2008, 08:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12621482#post12621482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnut2790
you can store the LR in a large rubbermaid container with a heater and powerheads to keep circulation up. I would ditch the substrate and start fresh with new when you set back up. i agree, use a brute can with a powerhead/pump and a heater and just keep up with your top offs. it might not be bad to add a little flake food once a week or so to supply a food source for the bacteria on the LR. i would get rid of the substrate.

marinenewbie
05/27/2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys...I guess it just might be easier to keep the set up I've got going, while I work away at the new tank. That would save me from setting up a new rubbermaid with powerheads, proper water, etc, as this one is already going.

I would need more substrate for the bigger tank anyways, so I will take your advice and ditch this older stuff once I transfer the rocks.

Thanks again, and hope to report more progressive news next time!!!! :)