PDA

View Full Version : brown jelly on hammer!

unbreakable
05/27/2008, 12:45 PM
what are the chances of it spreading to the other heads when only one head is infected???

Justin74
05/27/2008, 01:00 PM
At least 75% :(

A few different beliefs and methods on saving. Typically Lugols would be suggested, as it's an antiseptic. Me personally have never been able to contribute saving a coral that had brown jelly with Lugols. I have however saved several corals from brown jelly infections by siphoning out ALL visible signs of the slime off the coral, along with making sure my filters are clean and working good so none gets circulated throughout the tank, then the next day I'll swap out all filter media for fresh media so Im not harbouring any nasties. . Speculative, superstitious, with a hint of OCD? Maybe but it's worked for me, so I keep doing it. Even then it's not a sure save but does seem to at the very least help in it's controll. Good luck, deadly, deadly stuff to corals:(

-Justin

unbreakable
05/27/2008, 01:11 PM
wow this sucks. i didnt think it would spread to the the other heads. this really sucks

unbreakable
05/27/2008, 01:13 PM
what about fragging the unhealthy one and tossing it?

Justin74
05/27/2008, 01:39 PM
Ya, probably what I would do. Just when you frag it carefully not to fling that stuff around. Personally, I would gently remove it from the system, and have it hanging upside down so I could snip the head without it falling or rubbing on any others, then place it back in the tank. Still clean your filters though, doesnt hurt.

-Justin

Mental1
05/27/2008, 03:07 PM
Or if you have a QT, frag it and let it recover in quarantine. I lost a wall hammer to brown jelly -- couldn't stop the infection with dips, QT, or fragging. But it was a wall -- you have a much better chance with a branching hammer.

Justin74
05/27/2008, 03:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12624500#post12624500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mental1
Or if you have a QT, frag it and let it recover in quarantine. I lost a wall hammer to brown jelly -- couldn't stop the infection with dips, QT, or fragging. But it was a wall -- you have a much better chance with a branching hammer.

Hey stranger!;) Good seein ya, hope all is well on your end :)

-Justin

Mental1
05/27/2008, 07:57 PM
Hi! Things are great in paradise. Got me a 180g that I am in the planning stages of! Might send you a quick pm with a question or two! You okay?

Justin74
05/27/2008, 08:12 PM
Sure sure :)

-Justin