PDA

View Full Version : Major Issues

jallen100
05/27/2008, 05:56 PM
So to make a long story short I have been on my honeymoon for 10 days. I showed my wifes friend how to care for my tank. I explained everything to her at least 4 times and wrote her detailed instructions. So I get home Sunday and I notice some dead snails and all my corals are looking really bad but the fish seem good. I noticed she had been topping off my tank with salt water all week long and used about 20gallons of it. So after about 5 gallons of RO water my SG is still at 1.030. I am going to do a water change in the morning but what should the SG of my makeup water be to offset the high SG in the main system? Words cant describe what I am feeling. I have worked so hard to get my tank where it is and its all down the tubes for the most part because of one idiot.

JCSUPANOVA
05/27/2008, 06:08 PM
if you have a 140 gal. I would do a water change of about 15 gal a day of straight RO water until you get your SG back down. At this point in my opinion it is not really nessesary to use salt water. My tank was in the same situation and I have a 75gal with a 20 gal sump and I did changes of 7 gal of straight RO water for 3 days and got it from 1.031 down to 1.024. Also at the same time you are taking out Nitrates.

Compguy
05/27/2008, 07:00 PM
Thats right, you don't want to be adding anymore saltwater for your changes, just start doing small straight RO water changes, not to drastic, until you get your SG back down.

sabbath
05/27/2008, 07:57 PM
This is all I have to add. :)
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/tt/index.php

tbar
05/27/2008, 09:31 PM
Should maybe not let her had access to SW, meaning not had any made up.

demonsp
05/27/2008, 09:33 PM
Drain the tank in 5 gallon incriments then add fresh RO water then test.
What else can you test for and there readings?