PDA

View Full Version : Interruptus experiences

myerst2
05/27/2008, 06:09 PM
Was looking for information from people who have had experience keeping Interruptus angels? Care requirements, feeding, etc. Thanks Tim

Rare Angels
05/28/2008, 07:22 AM
Tim,

Interruptus are very hardy fish. The two I have had have been great fish and eaten anything I gave them. One warning though is that they do not handle high temps well

I had a 4-5" and a 1.5" fishes in the past and they both were fine from day one. I hope other chime in and give you more info.

Dave

cwoods8
05/28/2008, 11:46 AM
There is a pair available on NY Aquatic......

myerst2
05/28/2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am aware of the need for lower temps. I keep my tank at 76F. I have a Tinker's and Borbonius so that's why I keep it lower. I think this should be sufficient for the Interruptus. What do you guys think? I am aware of Nyaquatic's Interruptus but have heard great things and some bad things about there stock. I thought I lost my chance of getting the fish from a guy locally but he was busy as I am this time of year and took a few days to get back to me. Hopefully all things are a go and I will be getting the fish this Saturday. Wish me luck that all things work out!! Any other info would be great.

Hey Dave, What happened to the two Interruptus you got? Did they die? If so what was the cause? Thanks for responding Dave. Tim

zemuron114
05/28/2008, 08:42 PM
76 isn't low enough IMO. To keep them long term i would suggest 70-73. And dont bother getting one if it isn't small. Bigger ones dont fare nearly as well as small ones do (good luck finding a small one!)

i had a terrible experience with interruptus a little while back, and refuse to bring them in again at a large size (4-6")

The Japanese wholesaler i bought them from said a lot of them will have internal parasites, and that he keeps them at 70 degrees.

hope that helps.

adtravels
05/29/2008, 01:17 AM
chingchai, tank of the month has a nice small one you could ask him one one of his threads.

triggerfish1976
05/29/2008, 06:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12633984#post12633984 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zemuron114
76 isn't low enough IMO. To keep them long term i would suggest 70-73. And dont bother getting one if it isn't small. Bigger ones dont fare nearly as well as small ones do (good luck finding a small one!)

i had a terrible experience with interruptus a little while back, and refuse to bring them in again at a large size (4-6")

The Japanese wholesaler i bought them from said a lot of them will have internal parasites, and that he keeps them at 70 degrees.

hope that helps.

I agree 100% and had the exact same experience.

Obviously there will be some exceptions like the one in chingchai's tank.

Another major problem with these fish is they do not react well to some medications like copper which can make it difficult to treat them from various pathogens.

I want another pair but I may wait until RCT starts breeding them again.

The Fish Finder
05/29/2008, 09:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12635970#post12635970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by triggerfish1976
I agree 100% and had the exact same experience.

Obviously there will be some exceptions like the one in chingchai's tank.

Another major problem with these fish is they do not react well to some medications like copper which can make it difficult to treat them from various pathogens.

I want another pair but I may wait until RCT starts breeding them again.

I also agree 100%. They are not as rare as ppl think. I see them quite often and for quite cheep also. Reason is they do not do well at all in captivity. Also when they get bigger they don't look as nice. Just my 2cents

Maximus
05/29/2008, 09:42 AM
I had a captive bred pair for two years and they are wonderful fish. When I tore down the tank, I sold them. One of the biggest mistakes I've ever made in reefing.:( They were captive bred from RCT in Hawaii. I am definitely getting a couple more when they open up again. I would stay away from large, wild caught specimens. Here are a few of my pics when I had them:

Baby pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/sanglee24/interruptus11-30-04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/sanglee24/interruptus211-30-04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/sanglee24/Interruptuspair4-25-06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/sanglee24/maleinterruptus11-20-06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/sanglee24/maleinterruptus2.jpg

dcmander
05/29/2008, 02:38 PM
those are awesome, nice pics

myerst2
05/29/2008, 04:51 PM
Those are some amazing pics of some amazing fish. I think I am going to follow everyone's advice and forego getting the Interruptus. Still looking to add another fish. I have been wanting a male crosshatch, but I don't want the 7-8" fish you generally see. I was looking for a 5". That seems impossible to find. I did find this beauty and I think I am going to her. It's a crosshatch hybrid. It's either a crossed with a Sargassum or Blue throat. What do you guys think? Pics Below. Either way she is a beauty and is 5" and not something you see everyday. Thank you all for your responses regarding the Interruptus. You all may of saved from an expensive mistake. Thanks, Tim

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/myerst22/hybridxhatch.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/myerst22/hybridxhatch1.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/myerst22/hybridxhatch2.jpg

triggerfish1976
05/29/2008, 05:09 PM
I don't think it is a Sargassum Hybrid.
There was another thread trying to id this fish but the pic was crap. Your pics are leading me to believe that it is a Black Durgeon/Crosshtach hybrid if thats possible or a juvenile Golden Back trigger.

myerst2
05/29/2008, 05:43 PM
Not sure but this fishy will be swimming in my tank soon if all works out. Regards, Tim

triggerfish1976
05/29/2008, 06:00 PM
I just saw a pic of a sargassum and that may be it. Is this from a HI source?

myerst2
05/29/2008, 06:20 PM
No it's not from my HI source. Me being like you I constantly search for fish and i found this fish from a dealer who has amazing stuff but isn't known like the other retailers. Why I don't know because he has contacts Sedar and keeps his fish just as healthy as Phishy. I spoke with him and he has Conspics, Wroughts, and Interruptus coming in. Sorry for the pun but would you pull the trigger on this fish? What do you think a fish like this should go for? Trigerfish do you fish at all? I spend alot of time in Islamorada fishing, and would love to meet another fish freak like me. Regards, Tim

zemuron114
05/29/2008, 06:31 PM
crosshatches aren't found in the atlantic and sargassums aren't found in the pacific so that sort of rules out the hybrid crosshatch x sargassum. To me, it looks like a female crosshatch. but the coloration on the fins doesn't match up. Maybe a color morph crosshatch? Doubtful on the crosshatch x durgeon since one is Xanthichthys sp. and the other a Melichthys sp. If anything it would have to be a bluethroat x CH or a color morph of some type.

Regarding the interruptus - wait for RCT to be back up and running :)

Pyotale
05/29/2008, 06:59 PM
Guess I'll chime in here since the pictures posted of her are mine.

From what I was told by the diver himself, he believes this to be a female(obviously) xhatch x bluethroat hybrid. He said he collects xhatches once a month and about 60 at a time, so roughly 700 a year. This was the first FEMALE xhatch x bluethroat hybrid he has ever seen. Around a year ago I think there were 2 or 3 male hybrids that went pretty quickly but to his knowledge this is the first female he's ever seen or collected. Here is an email from the diver:

Aloha.
Sorry for the late reply, we've been busy diving. If you look at the tail of the female Xhatch and hybrid you'll notice that they are two different colors. They body is a darker brown on the hybrid. It also has lines under it's throat like a X-hatch but they are not colored like the female Xhatch. We have taken the hybrid to the ichthyologists at the Bishop museum who took DNA samples from the specimens and their parent species to try and figure out what exactly is going on.
Aloha,

Wish I could contribute more, but thats about as much as I know on this fish.

myerst2
05/29/2008, 07:08 PM
Hey Matt, Sorry to not credit you on the pics. I would love to purchase the fish. Give me a call so you can get my info. Regards, Tim

triggerfish1976
05/29/2008, 07:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12640346#post12640346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zemuron114
crosshatches aren't found in the atlantic and sargassums aren't found in the pacific so that sort of rules out the hybrid crosshatch x sargassum. To me, it looks like a female crosshatch. but the coloration on the fins doesn't match up. Maybe a color morph crosshatch? Doubtful on the crosshatch x durgeon since one is Xanthichthys sp. and the other a Melichthys sp. If anything it would have to be a bluethroat x CH or a color morph of some type.

Regarding the interruptus - wait for RCT to be back up and running :)

Hey Zem,

Did you have a thread a while back of a Crosshatch/Blue Throat hybrid that you collected or was that rgbmatt?

triggerfish1976
05/29/2008, 07:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12640266#post12640266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by myerst2
I spend alot of time in Islamorada fishing, and would love to meet another fish freak like me. Regards, Tim

I love to fish but I never get a chance to. I have actually lived on the gulfcoast for 8 years and have yet to make it out into the gulf to go fishing. I plan on chartering a boat every year but something always comes up. Get in touch with me the next time you are down and maybe would can get together.

zemuron114
05/30/2008, 03:44 AM
Wasn't me - it was alikatoes i believe. I saw it a few times. I was conflicted and didn't offer any comments on it. lol it could have been buy i had my doubts. It is quite possible it is a hybrid, but i thin color morphs are more feasible in this type of species since i do not believe a hybrid crosshatch or bluethroat has ever been recorded before.

LargeAngels
05/30/2008, 06:44 AM
myerst2: Buddy of mine is a charter captain and just sold his boat. He had it at Whale Harbor for about 10 years.

myerst2
05/30/2008, 06:01 PM
So again I'm toying with the idea of getting the Interruptus. Please tell me it's a bad idea and i will regret getting him. Man I'm like a little kid when it comes to fish. Have a great weekend all. I stay in Islamorada a lot in the winter and would to finally meet some of you other fish nuts. Regards, Tim

The Fish Finder
05/30/2008, 09:34 PM
Dude u know i deal with the rare trust me DON"T DO IT