PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate Reductors

Bruno3047
05/27/2008, 09:50 PM
Anyone use one of these?

Comments?

xJake
05/27/2008, 09:54 PM
If you're specifically referring to the aqua medic brand of denitrator then I haven't seen anyone with it running on their tank; however, people have been having a lot of success with DIY sulfur denitrators.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1288082

Bruno3047
05/27/2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the link, Jake.

I can't see having this thing set up next to my tank, though.

Under my tank is where I'd like to have it.

Bruno3047
05/27/2008, 10:20 PM
If this thing works as well as it says it does (claims laboratory-tested), I think I'd spring for the $250 and save myself all the hassle of setting up and maintaining a fuge with a DSB and Chaeto. It's only 20" high with a 5' x 5" footprint.

I'd have to do more research and see if it's another Eco-Aqualyzer.

http://www.aqua-medic.com/nitrate_reductor.shtml#manual

kdblove_99
05/28/2008, 12:33 AM
Think water changes are the best Nitrate Reducers.

Bruno3047
05/28/2008, 12:46 AM
What I'm learning is that these things work, but need a lot of attention to keep the flo-thru at a rate that will allow the denitrification to take place.

Too fast, and you get nitrite in your tank.

Too slow and you'll get hydrogen sulfide in your tank.

The only way to really keep the thing working properly is to have an ORP monitor probe in the reaction chamber to make sure the ORP stays in the -200 to -300 range.

Looking at a total cost of around $325.00 shipped for a 250 gallon unit with the ORP monitor.

Definitely a challenge, but I absolutely HATE doing water changes.

xJake
05/28/2008, 01:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12628161#post12628161 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bruno3047
What I'm learning is that these things work, but need a lot of attention to keep the flo-thru at a rate that will allow the denitrification to take place.

Too fast, and you get nitrite in your tank.

Too slow and you'll get hydrogen sulfide in your tank.

The only way to really keep the thing working properly is to have an ORP monitor probe in the reaction chamber to make sure the ORP stays in the -200 to -300 range.

Looking at a total cost of around $325.00 shipped for a 250 gallon unit with the ORP monitor.

Definitely a challenge, but I absolutely HATE doing water changes.

Those sound like the happenings of a standard sulfur denitrator. As for setting up the DIY one you can make it any size you want; if you want to put it under your stand simply make it shorter to fit. Just make sure you read the thread thoroughly. Good luck and happy reefing! :D

kau_cinta_ku
05/28/2008, 02:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12628161#post12628161 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bruno3047
but I absolutely HATE doing water changes.

just for your info. but getting a nitrate reactor is not gonna replace the water changing. you will still need to do a weekly 10% or bi weekly 20% water change. water changes do much more than just reduce nitrates.

oldimpala
05/28/2008, 09:41 AM
Bruno-

I ran an AquaMedic for two or three years (Still have it if you're interested, PM me), and it worked well on a FOWLR tank. It takes a bit to cycle, and I do recommend Deni-Balls for it, makes it easier. Only recommendations for the unit as a whole is to scrap the simple vavlves on it for a nice gate-valve, makes adjustment cake. And, ignore their drip counter. It's just a pain.

Since shifting to an SPS tank, with a better skimmer, etc, I haven't had NO3 issues, but wouldn't hesitate to fire it up again if needed.

Oh, and, I did get more lax in water changes. But DO NOT recommend it; as stated above, it replaces piles of trace minerals, and exports more than just Nitrates.

Let me know if you have any questions, or need a pump/reactor.

-Andy