PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Build - 280g

cbarria
05/27/2008, 09:55 PM
So I think I've convinced my wife to let me build a new tank. I had to basically start with a 600 gal monster... so I could get it down to something more reasonable, such as a 280 gal and get her approval ;-)

I wan to stick to glass and keep it at 280g. I would like to use starphire for the front panel, as this will be an in-wall tank. These are the dimensions I'm thinking: 96l 30w 22h. I would like to have an external overflow along the entire length of the tank.

So I have a couple of questions.

1- What do you think of the dimensions? Any obvious issues I should consider? I know it is a long tank.

2- Where can I get it from? Ideally, I would get it locally unless it was substantially cheaper to get it from a reputable internet dealer. I've heard too many conflicting stories on glasscages.com, so I'm a little hesitant to go with them.

3- The tank will be situated in the basement. The fish room is going to share space with our furnace/water heater. It is an unfinished room, so I'm worried about evaporation. I've heard evaporation is not really an issue until you get into the 400+ gal range, but I'm not sure. The last thing I need is to ruin our house due to mold, etc. The basement stays at a pretty constant 70-72F in the summer and can go as low as 62 F in winter. I will have a sink/drain build so I can do easy water changes too. I plan to have a 29g refugium and a 65g sump. There may be a future 40g frag tank as well. So, any issues with the location of the tank?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

bkvreef
05/28/2008, 11:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12627362#post12627362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbarria
So I think I've convinced my wife to let me build a new tank. I had to basically start with a 600 gal monster... so I could get it down to something more reasonable, such as a 280 gal and get her approval ;-)

I wan to stick to glass and keep it at 280g. I would like to use starphire for the front panel, as this will be an in-wall tank. These are the dimensions I'm thinking: 96l 30w 22h. I would like to have an external overflow along the entire length of the tank.

So I have a couple of questions.

1- What do you think of the dimensions? Any obvious issues I should consider? I know it is a long tank.

2- Where can I get it from? Ideally, I would get it locally unless it was substantially cheaper to get it from a reputable internet dealer. I've heard too many conflicting stories on glasscages.com, so I'm a little hesitant to go with them.

3- The tank will be situated in the basement. The fish room is going to share space with our furnace/water heater. It is an unfinished room, so I'm worried about evaporation. I've heard evaporation is not really an issue until you get into the 400+ gal range, but I'm not sure. The last thing I need is to ruin our house due to mold, etc. The basement stays at a pretty constant 70-72F in the summer and can go as low as 62 F in winter. I will have a sink/drain build so I can do easy water changes too. I plan to have a 29g refugium and a 65g sump. There may be a future 40g frag tank as well. So, any issues with the location of the tank?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
I hear you on the wife.
You could have done what I did: wife goes out of town (for the one time in ten years), and upsize with a tank from craigslist.

As far as the length, Is there any reason you want it that long?
What type of lighting will you be using.
If halide I would look at maybe a little taller?

If you are putting the fish room in an unfinished area of the basement couldn't you run some type of fan/vent out the ceiling somewhere.

With my tank I have too much condensation on my windows in our house so I think I'm going to have to buy a dehumidifier for our house. But I wouldn't put it in the fish room.

cbarria
05/30/2008, 05:03 PM
Any other recommendations on where can I get a tank made?

Nanook
05/30/2008, 06:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12646833#post12646833 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbarria
Any other recommendations on where can I get a tank made?

This is a discussion forum for non-vendor talk. You can start a thread in the Vendor Experience Forum if you want feedback on tank manufacturers. Thanks:)

cbarria
05/30/2008, 07:21 PM
It doesn't look like I can post in that forum.

Nanook
05/30/2008, 08:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12647690#post12647690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbarria
It doesn't look like I can post in that forum.

Go ahead and post it here and I will move it there for you.