PDA

View Full Version : Algae Fishes

Corsu
05/28/2008, 07:30 AM
Hi people, i ve been reading for a while this forum but i never posted anything.

This is my First Post. I am From Argentina and i have a simple reef acuarum. Here the hobby is very difficult to mantain. Expensive and with little products/corals/fishes offering.

My Question is the following.

In the last 6 month my acuarium has an strange algae exposion, and i am looking for the best algae eater fish.

Which is the best algae eater fish for you?

Some pictures.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/jcorsu/P1010810.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/jcorsu/P1010809.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/jcorsu/P1010873.jpg

Thanks
Javier

Corsu
05/28/2008, 03:14 PM
Hello, Glups.....no answers.....any one has any suggestion??
Thanks
Javier

kdblove_99
05/28/2008, 03:19 PM
[welcome]

Kole tangs are awesome algae eaters also lawnmower blennys

Corsu
05/28/2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the welcome!! I ve heard about the blennys but i ve read that they are mostly micro algae eaters....i guess my case are macro algaes...

I will look for Kole Tangs info.

Thanks
Javier

Packersfan21
05/28/2008, 04:26 PM
By your picture it looks like you already have a blue tang. If you add a kole tang the blue tang may act aggresively towards it since it probably already has an established territory. It may or may not work depending on what your tank size is.

Corsu
05/28/2008, 05:08 PM
Yes i guess... That makes me confussed...some people olso told me that a fish will not help me to much.... i am confussed. I dont eaven know which red algae is this...

Corsu
05/28/2008, 10:07 PM
I guess that to find wihch fish can eat this algae we should identify it...i guess it is Asparagopsis sp. or Octhodes secundirema but i am really confused...

I will aprecciate your help..

Thanks
Javier

cl2ysta1
05/28/2008, 10:23 PM
you can try manually removing it. It is some type of macro for sure. definetily one of the prettier ones.

hawkey992
05/29/2008, 06:54 AM
Macro can actually be beneficial to the tank, it uses up nutrients so pest alga can't get them and proliferate, plus it keeps the water freer of metabolites.

Corsu
05/29/2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your answers....the problem is when that macro algae cover the live rock and start bothering corals.... That is why i want to remove them....to control water paremeters and absorb nutrients i have a caulerpa refugium. I prefer to have algaes at the refugiuim instead of having them on the dysplay. Actualy i love to see live rock cleaned....

I am still investigating hoy to controll or remove it...

Last option is to take it away all rocks from the tank and clean them one by one....

BRGDS
Javier

rydr119
05/29/2008, 10:00 AM
I had a small amount of that same stuff on a rock I got a coral on. My tuxedo urchin devoured it. They will also eat coraline so just be aware.

jda
05/29/2008, 10:12 AM
If you want it gone, I would remove as much of it as you can by hand and then throw in a dozen turbo snails. They will clean it up over a few weeks or months - which is good because you don't want it eaten too fast or else it could contribute to a quick nitrate peak. The key is removing as much of it as you can by hand.

As for fish, rabbits are the best bet, but they get very large and eat a lot.

Corsu
05/29/2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your answers guys.

I also was told here in Argentina to add an Urchin (black one). The problem with these animals is that they may push corals and thow them.

A friend here in also offered to lend me a Rabbitfish, it is easy to put it in the acuaruim...the problem is how to take it away then!! hehe..

Really thanks a lot for your helps and answers...i will try a little od any of them..

Urchin (being careful of any harmed coral)
Turbos Snails (I already have two but they seems to prefer microalgae)
Rabbit Fish..(i should use a trap and be carefull it does not harm my Hepatus)
And finally if it does not work remove all the live rock!

BRGDS
Javier

jda
05/29/2008, 10:48 AM
When you use snails, they will eat the macro once all of the easy algae is gone - that is why you need a lot of them. You also should get rid of a lot of them after they eat the macro since they will later starve.

I have a few hitchhiker urchins that are getting quite big. They can knock over some stuff, but a little but of putty or superglue and the corals will stay put pretty well. They also are very good algae eaters.

Chibils
05/29/2008, 01:12 PM
For such poor selection, your reef tank looks pretty good!

A sea K
05/31/2008, 09:15 AM
IME the only thing that might eat it would be a Foxface (rabbitfish). I have one and he ate all the red wire algea in my tank. He also gets along with my Hippo. I really don't think the urchins or snails will touch it. Remove as much manually as possible and let the foxface do the rest.

SkyPapa
05/31/2008, 02:06 PM
Yea, my Foxface loves macro.

breeze
05/31/2008, 06:11 PM
I had the same algae in my tank. I just manually removed it and one day it just didn't grow back

Corsu
05/31/2008, 10:10 PM
People, thanks fopr yopur answers...probably i can try manually and if it doesnt get better ask for a rabittfish to a friend...

Very helpfull answers...

BRGDS
Javier

Corsu
06/02/2008, 08:19 PM
Has anyone had a Salarias Faciatus? A collegue told me that this fishes eat algae.

My question is: Does Salarias Faciatus east MACRO ALGAE?

BRGDS
Javier

A sea K
06/03/2008, 06:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12666018#post12666018 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Corsu
Has anyone had a Salarias Faciatus? A collegue told me that this fishes eat algae.

My question is: Does Salarias Faciatus east MACRO ALGAE?

BRGDS
Javier

Awesome fish and one that evryone should have but they wont put a dent in your macro.