PDA

View Full Version : Help with plumbing

ReefDreamz
05/28/2008, 10:12 AM
I am upgrading from a 46 to a 70 Oceanic "Ultimate" with dimensions 36.5x18.5x25. The 70 has one center overflow with two drilled holes. I purchased the Megaflow overflow kit which comes with a 1" and a 3/4" bulkhead fitting, adjustable "J" drainpipe, return pipe with flexible nozzle, 90° elbows, and intake strainer which handles a flow-through rate of 600 gph. The drain is 1" and the return is 3/4". The bulkheads that come with this kit are designed for vinyl tubing which I don't want to use. I would like to use unions where possible and ball valves. For the drain from tank to sump I'm thinking bulkhead-->union-->flex pvc-->union-->ball valve-->union-->flex pvc and for the return the same thing but a union--->return pump at the end. I would like to be able to dissassemble the whole thing thats the reason for the unions. I'm pretty sure they make ball valves with unions on both sides. Also I think the bulkheads need to be the slip kind inside the overflow box because the drain and return pipes insidle the overflow that come with the kit are not threaded. So my question to you plumbing experts is does this sound ok? Any concerns? Any ways to make it better? And most importantley what PVC pieces do I need? Thank you so much to anyone who can help me as this is my first time doing any kind of plumbing.

shag26272
05/28/2008, 10:26 AM
sounds exactly right, just get new bulkheads to replace the ones in the kit, for the drain you want to go 1 size bigger, so you will need a reducer to attach to the top of the drain bulkhead in the overflow. It will be 1 in. on the bottom side and 1.25 on the top. THen you need 1.25 PVC pipe for the standpipe, a 1.25 T, cap and elbow

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

ReefDreamz
05/28/2008, 10:44 AM
Ok wait now I'm confused. Are you saying I should build a whole new durso drain pipe? The kit comes with a 1" durso drain pipe why would I want to build a new one? If I replace the bulkheads and all of the drain pipe there was really no point in buying the kit.

shag26272
05/28/2008, 10:49 AM
oops im sorry, I wasnt paying attention, your plan looks good, get the slip unions and put a piece of hard PVC between the union and the bulkhead, You can get union ball valves. Dont use a valve on the drain side though. Also for the flex PVC make sure you borrow a heat gun or put it in the oven a short while, you will need to form it into shape

ReefDreamz
05/28/2008, 10:51 AM
Also what I really need help with is from the bulkhead to the sump. What type of bulkheads, what type of unions, what type of ballvalves, and what options I have for PVC (SpaFlex, Flex PVC, regular PVC). I would assume If I wanted threaded unions and bulkheads I would need PVC with threads. These are the types of questions I have. Thanks.

shag26272
05/28/2008, 10:56 AM
if youre taking the drain, I have mine with 1 in. flex PVC. I just shaped the PVC and glued it into the bulkhead, no fittings. the return which is 3/4 you can glue into the bulkhead also, just put a union ball valve about the pump so you can remove the pump to service it. I dont see the reason to use all of those unions. So I would get a 3/4 true union ball valve and the flex PVC, along with a 1 in and 3/4 in slip bulkhead. And also whatever connector you need to connect your pump to the 3/4 in PVC

ReefDreamz
05/28/2008, 11:27 AM
Ok awesome info but I have some questions. The reason I want all those unions is in case I need to move the tank. I would like unions as close to the bulkheads (both return and drain) as possible so I could just dissconnect the plumbing from the tank totally (could I do this by simply unscrewing the bulkhead?). Also Why not put a ball valve on the drain side, what if I would like to slow down the drain or even stop it completely for maintinence? With the flex PVC do I need any threaded components or should the bulkheads, ball valve, and unions all be slip x slip?

shag26272
05/28/2008, 11:31 AM
you would still have a piece sticking down where the bulkhead is if you wanted to remove the plumbing to move the tank. You wouldnt be able to sit it on a flat surface even with just the bulkhead in. If you Slow down your return with a valve, the drain will drain the equal amount. If you turn the pump off , the tank will stop draining. You will be able to remove the drain if you wanted to move the tank by just unscrewing the bulkhead and pulling all of the drain PVC through the hole for the drain up through the overflow. You would need to cut the return line to do this, but you shouldnt need much plumbing parts so it would be easier just to buy a new bulkhead.

ReefDreamz
05/28/2008, 12:12 PM
OOOh I see! Lol. Dude thanks for all your help. I'm still a little confused on the ball valve I need. Does it need to have a union on both sides or just the pump side and does it need to be slip or threaded? Then I need a connector to connect the pump to the 3/4" flex pvc. What is the best glue to use with flex pvc? Does HD or Lowes carry all these pieces or do I need to order online?

captain7359
05/28/2008, 07:12 PM
Cody,
The only valves I have in my system are one on the pump intake and outlet which are used for pump maintenance and throttling the return back to the tank. I would go with a threaded true union ball valve (the kind with a union on both ends). For the bulkheads other than the one for your overflow I would go with threaded since once you glue into a slip one you can't reuse it and if you heave a drip they are a pain to tighten up. The threaded type takes a little more patience to tape and goop up, but they can be reused and taken apart if you move. I think you can probably get away with one union on the drain and definitely skip the valve on the drain as it's just asking for trouble if it gets closed down too much. Lowes and HD sell all the stuff you should need and I've had best luck at the Henrietta Lowes for all my stuff. Debbie Supply out in E Roch sells some of the threaded nipples you might need, but are kind of pricey for the regular fittings. I'm not sure if you can return it, but you could do up a better overflow kit cheaper than the Megaflow kit. If you need a hand with the layout or install let me know and we could knock it out in a few hours.
-Walter

captain7359
06/11/2008, 03:19 PM
How'd you end up making out?