PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if my skimmer is adjusted properly?

Jay1982
05/28/2008, 11:32 PM
I have an ASM G3 skimmer, its been running for about 6 days now, and I don't know if its running right.

I read a lot about what depth you should keep it at, and I've seen most people say 8 inches or lower, and a lot also say 13 inches or more. Mine is sitting at 15 inches deep. The problem is, is that I'm trying to figure out at what height I should keep the exit tube (the one with the foam around the edge) at. Because when I adjust it, either the water and bubbles do not reach the collection cup, or the collection cup fills up with water and starts overflowing on the sides.
Are the bubbles suppose to be kept right at the collection cup edge so they can trickle over, or is the collection cup suppose to fill with water?

nattydread
05/29/2008, 06:41 AM
I dont have a g-3. But, your skimmer drain should be above the waterline, just above it. Otherwise you get back pressure. The water level in your sump needs to be constant, otherwise your skimmer will not hold its setting. The bubbles in my Euro reer are set to about 1/4 of the way above the bottom of the skimmer cup.

It takes a new skimmer, or a recently cleaned one several days before it gets a good slime coat on the inside and begins to pump out the gunk. A week, or 10 days is not unheard of.

Build a stand out of pvc and eggcrate, i imagine 10 inches of depth, or enough to get your drain above the waterline would be enough.

SaltyMember
05/29/2008, 06:54 AM
I have an ASM G3 sitting in 10 inches of water with my outlet tubing high enough to bring the bubbles to 1/2 way up the skimmer collection cup. It seems to work well at this setting.
As nattydread said, it will take time before the skimmer starts working well.

Jay1982
05/29/2008, 01:36 PM
Alright thanks, its where I have it at now. So I'll give it a bit longer before I expect to see some good results.

Natty, my skimmer is already on a stand. I have a very deep sump, lol