PDA

View Full Version : Moving from 110g to 220g

bkvreef
05/29/2008, 12:53 PM
I will be moving from my 110g to a new 220g

Some history:
A year + ago I transfered from a 55g to the 110g and lost most of my corals.

So I'm a little more gun shy now.

Heres my plan (please be critical)
1. set up tank for fish and another for the corals. I will use water from my 110g tank and mix it with new water. I will set up filters to both tanks and let them run for about a week prior to putting fish and corals in. I am doing different tanks so I don't have to set up lights to cover both tanks.

2. take out rock and coral from display tank and put them into transition tank. Once they are all out take out fish and put them in other tank. I may seperate some of the fish into seperate tanks so not too crammed.

3. Here is my big question!!!!! What to do with the sand (which will contain various life forms??????

4. Syphon out water into several rubbermaid containers with powerheads to keep flow going

5. Move 110g out of way.

6. Move in stand. Place 55g sump inside and insert protein skimmer, pump, etc.

7. Put tank on stand (make sure it's level!!!!). Plumb everything!

8. Add base rock (will probably use some new holey rock), then add sand

9. Add water that was syphoned prior to emptying out 110g.

10. Add fish into tank and then add water from their tank.

11. Get water flowing through plumbing.

12. Add corals back into tank.

13. Put canopy onto tank and light er up!!!

Sorry so long winded But please be critical (And especially help on step #3).

Bruder
05/29/2008, 05:32 PM
Looks pretty good. The one thing that concerns me is adding the sand/rock and then the fish immediately after without letting that settle down. If you have a reefer close by (or LFS you trust) you may want to consider having them hold stuff you are worried about for the transition phase, but that might just be me being overly cautious!

drakestraw
05/29/2008, 06:01 PM
i agree with bruder. when i switched tanks becuase of some problems with the silicone i didnt wait and put my two clowns in before the sand settled and they both died. wait until the sand has settled before you put anything in

bkvreef
05/29/2008, 07:22 PM
When you say sand settle do you mean for a day?
I had planned on putting the base rock and sand in for several days prior to adding the other l.r. and fish. Would that take care of it.

Also should I just put the sand in a rubbermaid container with water and a powerhead by itself?