PDA

View Full Version : How to add ESV Calc. and Alk Products?

RaiderFan in NY
05/30/2008, 09:03 AM
I bought the 2 part Calc and Alk product by ESV which i was told was the best...but my question is how do i use it? i probably sound stupid but i just don't get the directions. my alk is at around 9 and my cal is about 340 or so. how do i dose it so my cal goes up but not alk.?

adunne
05/30/2008, 09:11 AM
You should get a cal only product and dose your tanks clacium until its at the level you desire. Once you get the calcium up start using the 2 part.. adding both parts...

in the begining it is very important to test test test to figure out how much your tank uses up daily which will determine how much you need to add on a daily bases.

as RHF as written concern yourself with adjusting your dosing based on your alk level not your calcium level.

Here is a link to read that will help you.. although its a DIY the dosing can be applied.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Aquarist007
05/30/2008, 10:54 AM
adune is correct

I raise my alkalinity by using Kent super dKh, my calcium using Kent turbo calcium and the magnesium using kent Tech-M

Once they are at the desired levels then you can add the 2 part according to the basic directions on the containers.
Continue dosing this amount for one week and then measure your parameters again
If there is no change continue with this amt for another week. if there is a change then adjust the amount you are dosing accordingly
Continue this procedure untill you get 2 or 3 weeks straight of stability
On your tank with a moderate demand on calcium and alk I would think that 15-30 mL of the two part would be all you needed to dose with

Please Note
there is a chemistry dosing calculator in the reef chemistry form that will tell you how much and how quick you can dose with the kent products to bring it up to your desired levels

Balgie
05/30/2008, 01:39 PM
I've heard not to add them at the same time. Maybe rotate days or wait an hour.

fattyratrat
05/30/2008, 01:45 PM
fyi, your alk should be higher than 9. at least at 11 if not 12.

RaiderFan in NY
05/30/2008, 01:49 PM
really? i thought at 9 it was where it should be? sometimes i get so confused....so what are good products to dose with and raise cal and another to raise alk?

fattyratrat
05/30/2008, 01:55 PM
9 is a good number, but 11 or 12 are great numbers, and will keep your ph significantly more stable.

RaiderFan in NY
05/30/2008, 01:57 PM
so what are good products to dose with and raise cal and another to raise alk?

Shmax
05/30/2008, 02:04 PM
As mentioned above, Kent superbuffer dkh and Kent turbo-calcium are great products. Those plus Iodine are all I use to dose my 125. Also as stated above, you don't want to use them both the same day. I dose superbuffer Mon, wed, friday, and calcium tues/thurs/saturday, works out really well and keeps my calcium between 420-430 and dkh at 11.3 nearly all the time, with very minor fluxuations. I dose about 8 drops of Kent Iodine daily also.

RaiderFan in NY
05/30/2008, 02:08 PM
now you say those are buffers right? don't buffers maintain the desired levels? i need to raise them

Tswifty
05/30/2008, 02:10 PM
Use buffers to hit your levels then 2 part to maintain them.

Aquarist007
05/30/2008, 02:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12645538#post12645538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Balgie
I've heard not to add them at the same time. Maybe rotate days or wait an hour.

Its okay to add them simultaneously if adding them to a good size sump--if not there is a chance of some precipitation between the two. I add the alkalinity part first--wait for 30 sec for the sump to drain it(its cloudy so easy to tell) then add the calcium part.
I would not suggest to alter days as that could lower your level of either and defeat the purpose of the two part

Aquarist007
05/30/2008, 02:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12645750#post12645750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RaiderFan in NY
now you say those are buffers right? don't buffers maintain the desired levels? i need to raise them

alot of people use buffers to raise their pH. In most cases the pH problem is based on carbon dioxide levels.
So the buffers raise the pH and the alkalinity levels but the pH falls in a few days leaving a low pH high alkalinity level in the tank.
If the unwary reefer is not aware and continues this process the alkalanity levels can become very high
Furthermore buffers contain boron which although raises the alkalinty level, should only be in low concentration ratio with the carbonates and borates that make up the alkalinity level in your tank(boron should be only 4 per cent) This gives you a high reading for alkalinity but not in a useful one in regards to what corals want or need to use

Using kent super dkH is more carbonate based then it is borates
and using kent turbo calcium is more chloride based and raises the calcium level but doesn't affect the alkalinity level
That is why the two are good to use separately to raise the rates of calcium and alkalinity.
The two part then maintains the level--part one the alk level and part two the calcium level.

tmz
05/30/2008, 09:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12645579#post12645579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fattyratrat
fyi, your alk should be higher than 9. at least at 11 if not 12. 9 dkh is fine,so is 10 or 11. Naturual sea water is about 7 but you wan't it a bit higher since it can deplete more quickly in an aquarium since there is a much higher concentration of consumers thajn in lthe sea.

Aquarist007
05/30/2008, 09:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12648537#post12648537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
9 dkh is fine,so is 10 or 11. Naturual sea water is about 7 but you wan't it a bit higher since it can deplete more quickly in an aquarium since there is a much higher concentration of consumers thajn in lthe sea.

I agree 12 is getting on the high side so there is not much wiggle room left for error;)

deadmanh
07/17/2008, 06:59 PM
would you guys agree that ESV is a good commercial product?

i do NOT want a DIY, so im trying to find a good commercial one.

Aquarist007
07/17/2008, 07:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12969763#post12969763 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by deadmanh
would you guys agree that ESV is a good commercial product?

i do NOT want a DIY, so im trying to find a good commercial one.

I'm sold on it, I dose with 90 mL every night of it and it keeps my levels as:
cal 420, alk 11dkH, mag 1300

I have added a touch of mag since xmas--that's all.

tmz
07/17/2008, 07:45 PM
Yes

deadmanh
07/17/2008, 07:48 PM
i've also read that WM's two part solution is good: calxmax? but its more expensive. Anyone use both products and can tell any difference?