PDA

View Full Version : Need help with first additions for TONIGHT :)

Jay1982
05/30/2008, 10:29 AM
Ok, so I'm adding my first fish today into my what-will-be 90 Gallon reef aquarium. The cycle is done, and algae bloom has come and gone. And I am now ready to add fish....the whole time I have been telling myself I'll be adding a few fish at a time, so there won't be a huge spike in Ammonia.

I currently have about 120 lbs of live rock, alot of live sand (deep bed). 10 Trochus Snails, 9 Cerith Snails, 15 Nassarius Snails. And one loner hermit that sneaked in on my tank posing as a Cerith Snail :mad2:

Now, I'm getting a little ansy, and I was at the LFS today to see what they had, and I've made my choice on what I wanted to get today....would I be ok with adding 2 False Clowns and a lawnmower? Or is it too much for one day?

sassafrass
05/30/2008, 10:34 AM
In a 90 that shouldn't be to bad ,just remember you will want to add the most docile fish first otherwise you won't be able to add them later
Best of luck ,Lee

orbit
05/30/2008, 10:36 AM
how long has the tank been set up? what are your parameters?

if it is done, adding the three fishes at once is not a problem. are u goin to set up a QT tank first?

Jay1982
05/30/2008, 10:42 AM
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinty 1.023

It has been set up for 6 weeks.

I plan on adding the most docile ones first, and the last one is a flame angel, he's going in after I put the corals and such. So I don't expect to have a Flame until next Winter. He's last because he'll be the most territorial, and he COULD nip at corals, so if he does, out he goes.

returnofsid
05/30/2008, 10:47 AM
With your parameters, I think you're fine adding the fish you listed. One word of warning, though the Flame Angel is one of the least likely to nip at corals, as you mentioned it could. Once in a tank with lots of live rock, they can be hard to catch and remove. I'm not at all suggesting you don't try it, they're beautiful fish. However, when looking for one to purchase, try to find one that's been established in a reef system. Probably still doesn't give you any guarantee but might help.

HumanIMDB
05/30/2008, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you have a good plan. Remember to post pics later...we love pictures. :)

Jay1982
05/30/2008, 11:08 AM
Returnofsid, I'm hoping my tactic for catching cichlids will work in the saltwater arena. Or else I'm screwed, lol.

Human, no doubt, I plan on taking loads of pictures!!

abulgin
05/30/2008, 12:42 PM
I would make sure you have enough algae to support the Lawnmower in case he decides not to eat prepared foods. If you're going to add corals, you might also want to raise that salinity up to 1.025-6.

Jay1982
05/30/2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks abulgin! I was planning on slowly raising the salinity. I actually just came to my computer and raised it 0.1. Thanks for the advice!

jimwat
05/30/2008, 12:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12645170#post12645170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abulgin
I would make sure you have enough algae to support the Lawnmower in case he decides not to eat prepared foods. Or, make sure the fish is eating at the LFS. I have lost enough fish over the years from starvation, that I will not take ANY fish that does eat at the store (plus/and it's just a really sad way to kill a fish :( )

Jay1982
05/30/2008, 01:44 PM
I do have some algae present, but I'll also check to see if he's eating at the lfs so that I can check if he's healthy

jimwat
05/30/2008, 02:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12645576#post12645576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jay1982
I do have some algae present, but I'll also check to see if he's eating at the lfs so that I can check if he's healthy My LM will eat just about anything I throw in the tank, plus picks at the rocks and leaves "kisses" on the glass (a seriously fat little pig). However, I've also had one that starved.

BTW, these are a pretty common fish at the LFS. If you have a choice, have the LFS person try to feed several of the LMs and pick the one that is the best eater.

Jay1982
05/30/2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll have a go with that!

discusone
05/31/2008, 01:38 PM
Orbit asked a very good question.Please,remember this.IF you introduce any fish with any parasites,name your flavor,you will eventually have an issue.

Eveywhere on this site,you will see people banging their heads against the wall saying,"why did i not quarteen".

Please do yourself a favor,set up a 20 tank for QT.There are a ton of threads showing how to do this.

Jay1982
05/31/2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks, discusone. I've already purchased 2 QT tanks for my saltwater aquarium, and its up and running. Currently housing some corals I purchased yesterday as well. The other one is void and that's where I'm going to slap my next fish in. For my other aquariums I've always ran multiple QT tanks, doubling has hospital tanks when needed. I feel I'm prepared for the worse, hoping against anything though!!

discusone
05/31/2008, 05:15 PM
Then you are ahead of the game.Success to you!