PDA

View Full Version : Eel Owners.......

RBU1
05/30/2008, 11:20 AM
Just curious what types of food you feed your moray's. I currently have a Zebra Moray and will be obtaining a White Eyed Moray shortly. I am feeding my Zebra shrimp. I know it is good to varry the diet and would like to get some different food type opinions. I will be stopping at the Asian market on my way home to get something. So what should I get?

JustinReef
05/30/2008, 12:12 PM
Shrimp, Prawns, Clams, Squid, Mussels, Silversides. I have also fed them chunks of fish before. Be carfeul feeding them fish though if you have smaller fish in the display with them. Especially silversides...they can end up seeing all fish as food.

JustinReef
05/30/2008, 12:13 PM
Oh and make sure you freeze all this stuff. Thaw it out in vitamins and then feed it. You need to freeze it to kill parasites.

RBU1
05/30/2008, 12:45 PM
Thank you very much. I will see what the Asian market has on my way home.

JustinReef
05/30/2008, 12:53 PM
They should have all that. I also go to an asian market and buy the frozen bags of mixed seafood. Those are really great. All kinds of stuff in them! Just make sure nothing has been added.

RBU1
05/30/2008, 12:55 PM
I assume you mean by nothing added you mean spices and stuff right?

JustinReef
05/30/2008, 12:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12645263#post12645263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RBU1
I assume you mean by nothing added you mean spices and stuff right?

Yes. Usually there is nothing added but just be careful.

RBU1
05/30/2008, 01:08 PM
OK thanks again.

pinkie
05/30/2008, 04:24 PM
I agree with what justinpsmith, the other thing I also get for mine is some saltwater fillets (lean and white) from my local grocery store and add it to the squid, clams, krill, silversides, and table shrimp.

Also make sure it is all raw and not cooked.

JustinReef
05/30/2008, 05:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12646614#post12646614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pinkie
I agree with what justinpsmith, the other thing I also get for mine is some saltwater fillets (lean and white) from my local grocery store and add it to the squid, clams, krill, silversides, and table shrimp.

Also make sure it is all raw and not cooked.

Yeah I totally forgot to mention that you need to make sure its not cooked. Especially the shrimp, they often come cooked.

StayPuft
05/30/2008, 09:01 PM
Mine loves squid, it's his favorite food! On the other hand, it won't touch silversides. It'll also eat raw shrimp and krill.

RBU1
05/31/2008, 03:04 AM
Just curious about the cooked/uncooked thing. I assume it is because when you cook them you remove some of the nutrients. I was also told to use cooked shrimp so there is no chance of bacteria. Well for my Zebra I have been feeding cooked shrimp for at least 5 months. I will switch to the raw.

I was able to get a package of the mixed stuff. The only thing I did not like is it comes with "imitation" crab meat. I will just put that in the trash. I also picked up a a package of some clams.

Thanks Again for the suggestions. BILL

billsreef
05/31/2008, 08:08 AM
The imitation crab meet is typically Pollack that has been pressed ;) I'd save that to eat myself :D

And, yes, the cooked/uncooked thing as to do with cooking breaking down some of the nutrients ;)