PDA

View Full Version : Did My Clowns Already Host

snommisbor
05/30/2008, 09:28 PM
About four months ago I bought 2 Maroon Clowns from Petco, they were misbars and looked really cool. Well I believe they paired up because one is much bigger now and they do hang out together whereas the larger one (female) does venture out more and sometimes goes after a chromis. Well I went to the LFS to just look and they had a real nice Rose Bubble Anemone so I got along with a nice Mandarin. I started the process and a few hours later finally got them both in. I dropped the RBTA right where the clowns tend to stay and they already are right by the anemone and swimming in it some, the male more so. My question is did they already host this RBTA within a few hours of introduction. I will try to get some pics tomorrow.

My one concern is the Mandarin is sure hanging real close to the RBTA, he will swim around the tank but has settled in the same corner as the RBTA. Should I be concerned.

Cheebs
05/30/2008, 11:40 PM
Sounds like they are hosting, my maroon did the same just 1 hour after I put the BTA in my tank, and pretty much hasn't lef tit since :P and that was months ago. I'm not sure about the mandarin but I wouldn't be worried unless your clowns start getting teritorial, but the goby should bugger off if that happens anyways.

pntballgunz
05/31/2008, 01:51 PM
My Maroon did the same thing as your clowns, but the Maroon came after the RBTA. It quickly did its ritual dance in the RBTA and flatten the RBTA like a pancake. It then plucked some of its tips and ate it. Since then the RBTA split and it is enjoying hosting both.

Mike31154
05/31/2008, 09:35 PM
The Mandarin Dragonet should be no problem. I also have one in my 75 gal along with a pair of Maroon Clowns and their BTA. The Mandarin should start foraging for pods all over the tank pretty quick. Hopefully you have sufficient live rock to culture enough food for the Mandarin. Mandarins are very unobtrusive fish that generally go about their business of foraging for food and don't bother any other tank inhabitants. Apparently they secrete some form of protective coating that keeps any other fish from attacking them, tastes real bad if they try to bite them I gather.