PDA

View Full Version : Redrilling- installing larger bulkhead

Cajun Reefer
05/30/2008, 11:17 PM
Has anyone redrilled a hole to install a larger bulkhead? I currently have a 1 inch or 3/4 inch bulkhead installed; however, I need a 1.5 inch bulkhead installed so I can setup a proper closed loop system with a good intake screen in a second aquarium of mine.

Has anyone done this before? Are there any issues I need to keep in mind other than the lack of a way to seal the water to cool off the bit? I thought about siliconing a smaller piece of glass to the underside of the aquarium to seal in the water for cooling purposes.

Does anyone know if they make an adapter that would screw into a 1 inch or 3/4 inch bulkhead that would allow me to screw in a 1.5 inch intake screen?

http://www.spacare.com/ProductImages/parts/0-2/10-6806.jpg
But black in color.

Thanks!

kgross
05/30/2008, 11:36 PM
You can adapt up, but you will be making it stick out of the side of the tank quite a ways.

If the tank is glass and not tempered you can drill a new hole around the old one without any problems. If the tank is acrylic, you can enlarge the hole pretty easly also.

Kim

lark
05/31/2008, 12:09 PM
You could probably just put some eletrical tape on the underside of the hole to keep water in there long enough to drill. It might leak, but if you keep adding water, it should be fine for a couple of minutes to get the drilling done.

I used one of those wax rings that go in the base of a toilet, and put it around the spot I wanted to drill. They are about an inch tall so they hold a good amount of water. I bet if you used good electrical tape on the underside of the hole and one of those things, water would stay in there long enough to drill.