PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer is 1/4" too tall

sandalscout
05/30/2008, 11:39 PM
I just got my Octopus DNW-150 today, and it is 1/4" of an inch too tall to fit under my stand. I can get it completely under there, just not with the top cap on. This adds about 1/8-1/4" to the total height.

If I have 1/4" or so cut off of the collection cup to allow the top cup to sit slightly lower, will this negatively affect operation?

I found some pictures of the skimmer online and mine looks slightly different. In my skimmer, the lip on the cap sits slightly higher than the top of the collection cup neck tube. On the Octopus website, it appears that the lip sits slightly below the neck tube. I would think that the only issue with cutting the cup down slightly would be that it's changing the amount of overlap between the two. Pictures can be found here http://www.proteinskimmer.com.cn/c/cn/M_ViewImage.asp?ProductID=2006&user= The two peices that overlap are in the collection cup all the way at the top. The upper one is attached to the black cover on top.

Sorry if this is confusing, I can provide sketches if needed.

Thanks!

mmagaletti
05/31/2008, 12:30 AM
Shortening it by a 1/4" will not impact performance, besides a slightly shorter skimmer is way better than no skimmer.:thumbsup:

Mark426
05/31/2008, 04:34 AM
Remember...you have to be able to get the cup off to empty it once its under there.

jmjohnson
05/31/2008, 06:52 AM
Or he could drill a hole in the cup for a remote drain.

dzeadow
05/31/2008, 06:59 AM
I believe those cups are 0 clearance now right? they have the union on the neck. If you're removing 1/4" from the top of the cup to let the lid sit down further, it shouldn't hurt performance much if at all. I'd probably do it to avoid the hassle of trying to find a new skimmer and sending that one back for a refund if you can even get it.

AlbaTiVo
05/31/2008, 08:52 AM
Why not try contacting Octopus and see if they have a lid off another model that will fit down inside a little. Either that or maybe a shorter cup?

I would rather try that first before I start cutting up the cup you have.

Steven

sandalscout
05/31/2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. This cup does join by a union. It is a 0 clearance, but with the o-ring it needs maybe 1/16" of an inch. It does also have a remote drain on it, but I will need to be able to get it apart for cleaning.

The only things I was worried about was the overlap between the internal collars affecting the flow of bubbles, but after looking at other skimmers, I think it'll be okay. Unfortunately, after looking at that models on their website, I believe that I already have the shortest collection cup that they sell. However, my cup is different (shorter) than the one shown with my model, so maybe they do have a shorter one available and just not listed. I will contact them.

Thanks!

reefergeorge
05/31/2008, 11:03 AM
What kind of stand are you using? Mine fit into my perfecto with a little effort.
Are you running internal or external? Running external may give you the .25 you need.

sandalscout
05/31/2008, 02:33 PM
I'm running it in a sedona stand, and running it external, and still have the problem with height. I can get it into the stand and put the cup onto it, just not with the top cap in place on the cup.... it's REALLY close, and I bet I have about 1/16" of an inch clearance without the cap on between the cup and the bottom of the tank.

musky1963
05/31/2008, 04:11 PM
How about cutting out a small section of the stand floor? I did that to fit in a 55 sump/fuge so it rests directly on the carpet. it gave me a few more inches:eek1: .

NeveSSL
05/31/2008, 05:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12649915#post12649915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmjohnson
Or he could drill a hole in the cup for a remote drain.

Even then it still needs to be cleaned once every week or two at the most.

Brandon

sandalscout
06/01/2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'm either going to be making a hole in the bottom of the stand, or it's going to be going behind it in the gap for the closed loop system.

Thanks!

wilcalil
06/01/2008, 09:30 PM
The new models (PS 150 recirc) octopus are shorter but larger. Here in Brazil we have already received plenty of this new models with bubble plate for the same price.