PDA

View Full Version : Need large feed Float Valve

adova
05/31/2008, 06:45 PM
Hi,

I am looking for a float valve that has a larger (preferable 1/2" or so) input rather than the standard RO/DI float valves - if you have any sources, it is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Shawn

adova
05/31/2008, 06:48 PM
Well, I guess I might well explain what I am trying to do to see if there is another solution.

I recently got an external skimmer wher the cup drains out into a floor drain. I am afraid that the skimmer might accidentally start pouring out water for any particular reason.

My thought was to attach to a 5 gallon bucket with this larger valve and if the bucket fills, it kills the flow.

Thanks again...

Shawn

Mako
05/31/2008, 06:55 PM
Check US Plastics (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=6109&product%5Fid=12596)

paulyl61
05/31/2008, 09:17 PM
Go to a livestock feed store, you can get a flost valve designed for filling water troughs for about $10. I have one in my sump, I just replaced the metal parts with nylon bolts and it works great. They have a much larger float than normal aquarium float valves so they give a more positive shutoff.

eznet2u
05/31/2008, 09:35 PM
How about a float switch and relay to shut off the skimmer.
Now you don't have to pray that the float valve doesn't get
stuck open with a piece of debris...

rj ripetide
05/31/2008, 10:49 PM
Tractor Supply Store...Farm & Home Store...about any livestock store as stated above I just want to give a couple of popular name stores to give an idea where to look.

mic209
06/01/2008, 12:28 AM
maybe try looking for a float valve made for ponds?

The0wn4g3
06/01/2008, 01:58 AM
Filling up a 5 gallon bucket is a lot of filling up to do!
You could throw a bulkhead on the bucket that drains back in to the tank. Assuming it would be just water on the top... 5 gallons of skimmate would be siiiick
Or you could just empty the bucket :)

adova
06/01/2008, 08:04 AM
Like I said - this is mostly for if the skimmer just starts pouring water into the collection cup (I have seen it before maybe twice - especially with newer skimmers.)

I am beginning to think that the float valve is not going to work either, since the collection cup would just start filling up.

I think I am going to need to do either the overflow back into the sump (cheapest and easiest) or a float switch with an old JBJ I have laying around.

Thanks!

Shawn

stugray
06/01/2008, 11:05 AM
Make a valve from a tube & a ping-pong ball.

When the bucket fills, the ball reaches the top of the tube and it would press against a rubber seal blocking air from leaving the bucket & the flow stops.

This would allow the skimmer to dump back into the tank.

I have the same problem with my skimmer, so I dont drain it to a bucket anymore. I like to check how the skimmers doing & drain it manually.

As a matter of fact, if I leave the skimmer running really wet, the skimmate in the collection cup keeps getting more & more concentrated, so I let it run that way occasionally.

Stu

adova
06/01/2008, 11:54 AM
Unfortunately, it is an external skimmer, so it will not run back into the tank :(