PDA

View Full Version : Neon Goby

The Saltwater Kid
06/01/2008, 12:06 PM
If you have one of these guys how do you like him? Does he really clean the other fish of parasites? Does he eat regular frozen/flake food too (unlike the Cleaner Wrasse)? Is he active in the tank as far as swimming around or does he pretty much stay in one area? I was thinking of replacing a fish that died with a Starkii Damsel or an Orchid Dottyback but ever since I saw one of these cute little guys I've entered them as a possibility as well because they are small, brightly colored and would have the added benefit of being a cleaner instead of getting a cleaner shrimp because those make spot feeding corals very hard to do as they are thieves.

cl2ysta1
06/01/2008, 12:26 PM
they are great fish. eat regular food. i've seen mine hoover on the fish i dont think they were eating anything though. another benefit is these will breed in captivity, and also meaning you can buy tank raised ones

LauraCline
06/01/2008, 11:03 PM
I have a yellow and a blue that have made a pair and they are very cool and constantly active. They don't clean because all my other fish are small but they do hover around them.

myzislow
06/02/2008, 11:02 AM
I have 2 blue ones and love them. They are the coolest little fish and are super active. Mine actually do clean some of my fish, most notably my lawnmower blenny as he just sits back and lets the gobies do there thing. It's pretty cool to watch.

maui-reefer
06/02/2008, 11:39 AM
I have a pair of blue strip neon gobies, a blue damsel (sp?) and a Orchid Dottyback. They all get along fine. The neon gobies are great community fish for a reef tank. Neon gobies are readily available tank bred. I would suggest that you get tank bred when possible.