PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the Head

Gondore
06/01/2008, 08:29 PM
So, I purchased some live rock from an established tank a week ago today. The rock contained a large serpent star in it. The star seemed to make the move fine. Yesterday I decided I should probably keep him a little something since there was nothing else in the tank. I purchased some freezed dried krill. I stuck the krill into the water and he came out to feed. He wrapped his arms around the krill and pulled it to his mouth. I figured everything was good. This morning I woke up and he was sitting out in the open (which is weird because he is usually hiding). I noticed two things. First, he had a large hole in his head. Second the krill I had given him earlier was stuck in the overflow. Once I turned on the lights he crawled under a rock, but the hole looked really bad. Any ideas what may have caused this? Also, do you think he stands a chance?

rlee81indy
06/01/2008, 08:34 PM
sounds as if the star may not have been the only hitchhiker.

Gondore
06/01/2008, 08:36 PM
Why...what else would do this?

rlee81indy
06/01/2008, 08:40 PM
GIANT SQUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no im only kidding. Not sure but that would be my first guess. There could be something else that doesnt come out of the rocks. Im no expert by far, I only responded because that happened to me once...not a star but my livestock kept disappearing. turned out there was a bad crab...I can remember what kind it was though

Gondore
06/01/2008, 09:01 PM
That is interesting that you would mention a crap because I found one in the tank today. I removed him so if that was the problem I shouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

Kemo484
06/01/2008, 09:04 PM
Have you heard any clicking sounds? Could be a mantis. But I was in a similar situation a while back, kept loosing hermits. Turned out I had a gorilla crab about the size of a quarter that came along for a ride on the rock. Keep checking your tank at night and try to see if theres anything else roaming around.