PDA

View Full Version : 150w w/ T5 scheme

salmon alley
06/02/2008, 05:28 AM
I like a tank that's whitish/blue, but I don't want to wash out the greens and reds.

My lighting is 48" 2 x 150w with 4 x T5.

Should I go with:
1) Blue MH (like Phoenix 14K) supplemented w/ daylight T5s
or
2) Daylight MH (like AB 10K) supplemented w/ Blue T5s

Paul_PSU
06/02/2008, 05:50 AM
You could go with the Phoesnix 14k for the blue, then but a couple True 03 actinic for dusk to dawn and then use two different bulbs to make the reds or greens pop. Check out the T5 thread. There is tons of info on different bulbs. I have been looking up info there since I am in the learning phase when it comes to T5 bulbs and trying to get the same effect as you. I am currently running 2 250w 14K, 2 T5 tru03 actinic. I am adding 2 more T5 bulbs to my setup so also looking for bulbs to bring the reds and greens out.

Paul

Mark426
06/02/2008, 06:27 AM
I like what Paul said. Check out the ATI Pro-Color lamps. They are great at pulling out red/green. One might be enough?

salmon alley
06/02/2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I'm leaning towards 14K Phoenix MH, 2 x Actinic T5 and 2 x ATI Pro-color.

Will that be enough daylight to offset the blue? I don't mind a blue tint, but I don't want the "Tydee bowl" look as some have described it...:D

hahnmeister
06/02/2008, 01:06 PM
I know someone who tried that... said it looked icky... not many fans of the pro-color it seems, at least not with the pheonix/radium type bulbs.

My suggestion would be to use the Ushio Aqualite/BLV nepturion 14,000K with blue+ T5s. Very 'ice blue' but not monochromatic like the pheonix... I know people that use 6500Ks with the pheonix as 'suppliment' since it lacks daylight so badly.

Heres a 150g with 3xUshio 14,000K and 4 (2 rows) of the blue+ T5s...
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/wetworx101/0001.jpg

Of course, I cant tell you how it really looks through a photo... the camera and your monitor mess things up... but on my monitor (24" CRT) it looks just like I remember it. The corals love it as well, and it doesnt pick up on the yellow in the water if you have any. My suggestion would be to use HQI ballasts with the Ushios though. It seems that a few in my club that use this bulb have noticed that the bulb looks yellower on e-ballasts... oddly enough. It must have something to do with a hormonic frequency and these bulbs. Ushio even suggests HQI over e-ballasts for this bulb.