PDA

View Full Version : Removing anemone crab help.

seafansar
06/02/2008, 01:16 PM
About 7 weeks ago I took all the fish out of my 125 gallon tank, because of an ich outbreak. There is a RBTA in the tank, so I moved my anemone crab from another tank into the 125gallon. Since then the crab has never left the anemone. But in a week I'm going to be putting my clowns back into the tank. Will they case the crab out of the anemone themselves? Or will the crab keep them out of the anemone? Or will they live in peace together (the crab is about an 1", the perculas are still only about 2" long, and the anemone is 6 or 7" wide)?

I tried catching the crab with my hand. The first time he ran under a rock where I couldn't reach it and the second time the anemone closed up and retreated back under its rock where I couldn't reach the crab again. Any ideas for catching the crab? Traps?

And if I put the crab on the other side of the tank, 5' away, will it find the anemone again? Will I need to put the crab in a different tank?

LeslieH
06/02/2008, 05:02 PM
In the wild anemone fish & anemone crabs manage to co-exist without any real problems. There's no guarantee it will be the same in your tank but you could try it.

seafansar
06/02/2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks. Good to know. I'll try that. If it doesn't work out, I'll just try a little harder at getting the little bugger out.

NanoReefWanabe
06/03/2008, 11:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12664744#post12664744 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seafansar
Thanks. Good to know. I'll try that. If it doesn't work out, I'll just try a little harder at getting the little bugger out.

if the clowns chase him out then i am sure you will be able to catch him...

davocean
06/03/2008, 11:46 AM
My female maroon is one of the most fussy clowns I've ever owned, and extremely protective of her nems.
In fact, she killed the first 2 males I intro'd, even w/ specimen container intro.
I've always wanted a porcelain crab, but thought for sure it would be immediately turned into fish food.
About 6 mo ago I decided to take a chance, and to my surprise my fem maroon was instantly cool w/ the intro of the crab, not even a hint of aggro, and she keeps EVERYONE in tank in check.
I think you may have similar success, let us know how it works out.

seafansar
06/03/2008, 02:05 PM
That's good to hear! I'll keep everyone posted.

myreefcentral
06/04/2008, 06:45 AM
go for it and keep us updated...

Joe LoPresti
06/05/2008, 02:25 AM
My female Ocellaris will get irritated by my porcelain crab and she'll chase him out of the nem. He goes and hides down by the base of the nem for a bit, but he always pops back up. I think she's just letting him know who's in charge!!

seafansar
06/06/2008, 11:04 PM
"What's that in our anemone?!?!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/_eyesthatstare_/aquarium/P6060028.jpg

Haha... well they seem alright with their little roommate. They pretty much just totally ignore it. The crab, however, is horrified that there are these fish so close to it. It puts up its claws in defense, but they don't care. The clowns are more worried about the two cleaner shrimp being so close. They don't like being touched by the shrimp's antenna. I'll update on how they're doing tomorrow!

davocean
06/07/2008, 09:24 AM
Cool, nice shot!

seafansar
06/07/2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks! Well today it looks like the crab has had enough with the clowns. It moved to the underside of the anemone. I'm glad it's not keeping the clowns out!

davocean
06/07/2008, 10:15 AM
Mine goes all over, underside, top, and sometimes totally in mouth of nem.
I've seen my maroon gently pull it out of mouth, almost like she takes care of the crab as well.
I'm sure she sees it being beneficial somehow.
They'll get more used to each other.

dragonette
06/07/2008, 10:56 AM
Ive heard that anemone crabs will harass the crap out of a anemone however, I have one and hes great, neither the anemone, the anemone shrimp, or the hosting domino damsel have a problem! they all use the RBTA as a home.

Jess

seafansar
06/07/2008, 11:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12698759#post12698759 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragonette
Ive heard that anemone crabs will harass the crap out of a anemone however, I have one and hes great, neither the anemone, the anemone shrimp, or the hosting domino damsel have a problem! they all use the RBTA as a home.

Jess

Wow, that's a crowded RBTA! :lol:

dragonette
06/07/2008, 12:41 PM
haha I know right. Well, the domino swims around he doesnt always host it the way a clown does. He just dips in now and then.

the nem crab hangs out on the 'edge' of the nem

the nem shrimp will hang out in the RBTA and the goni I have. Right now hes hanging in some palys actually...

They all kinda take turns? its weird.

Jess

KorL
06/10/2008, 07:52 PM
As long as there's enough room for everyone, it should be ok.

seafansar
06/21/2008, 05:29 PM
Well everything was going fine with my RBTA, anemone crab, and perculas for a while. But a few days ago, the crab decided the anemone tasted good. I caught him a few times chewing on the anemone's tentacles. Now one side of the anemone has short messed up tentacles from the crab. I tried a few times to get the crab out with no luck. Today I managed to scare the crab out of the anemone and onto the rocks. I waited for him to crawl out into the open and quickly grabbed him. He did not want to get go of the rock and lost both of his claws during the whole thing, but I got him out!
Now I'm acclimating him and he's going to go into my 20 gallon with no anemone. The only other things in there are liverocks, a few snails, and a peterson's cleaner shrimp. I'm going to target feed him with cyclopeze and other coral food until he molts and grows his claws back. I feel bad he lost his claws, but I'm glad he's out of the anemone!